Me and my Rick (Turner) on our first gig together - How Romantic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by natrab, Oct 14, 2004.

1. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Finally got the pictures back from our show on the 25th. I really love my new bass. It's ultra simple. Active electronics, just four knobs. Tone, piezo/soapbar blend, blend between the two soapbars, and volume. It gets all the tones I could want. People think it's a cheap bass because it's not fancy (just a plain satin finish over swamp ash with an ebony fb). The fanciest thing is the 3 ply joint of the headstock.

I'm really thinking of ordering a 5 string just like this (maybe with a stain or something so they don't look exactly the same). I'm also heavily considering a Nordstrand. I'd probably be happy with either bass, and they cost about the same, but I can't decide!

Anyways, on to pics:

I had to throw in the last one of my rig with my guitar player jumping because it's funny :oops:

Anyways, help me decide if I want another Turner for my 5 string or a Nordstrand. Has anyone played both? Are the necks similar? The Turner feels like a small bass. It feels like it should be a smaller scale though it isn't. I really love the feel of it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play a Nordstrand so I'm pretty biased.
  2. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I believe nordstrand allows you to specify neck measurements as a non-cost option.

I really love those electrolines. I may have to drop by his shop next time I'm in Santa Cruz.
  3. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, one thing that's nice about having a Rick Turner is that I live two blocks from his shop. I think Nordstrand is not quite as close.

Still, I'm sure I'll get a great bass no matter which direction I go.

The deciding factor may be the piezo system in the Turner. It really adds a great sizzling sound that's most noticable in the studio.
  4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    That's a great bass- The Electrolines are superb, I have one on my wish list.
    Rick Turner is a master builder who focuses on sound and playability and electronics.
    Of course, exotic tops are beautiful, but there is a lot to say about Turner's approach to building an instrument- classic, simple styling and woods, perfect construction and incredible TONE-- that's beautiful too.
    Nice bass.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Congrats. Turner's basses are real sleepers. I have a very pimped out Renaissance - not everything Turner does is understated!
  6. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I'm leaning towards another Turner. Maybe I'll get it all tricked out (though I still think I prefer the satin finish to the high gloss). I really just can't live without the Piezo's, though I'm sure Carey Nordstrand could do it at an additional cost (unfortunately I don't have too much money).
  7. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Hey, Natrab: How long did it take you to get the Electroline built? Very nice... I have a very similar one but lefty, single diamond pickup and has a natural (stained grain) oil body that looks pretty stunning.

The magnetic pickup died on me about 11 months ago and I have been waiting for a replacement from Rick since then. They don't answer my emails, I have posted my concerns on their new forum page, but, nothing.. I have always been polite to him and understanding... I guess the guy just doens't like me! :meh:

So I've been using it with the piezos only and truly, once you hear those pickups in a full band context, you are hooked. There is no other bass that sits so well in the mix (I play in a 10-piece band, with horns, percussion, you name it). I recently recorded an album using an American P-bass, a G&L L-1500 and the Turner, and in the end the sound of the bass in the songs recorded with the Turner are just 100% better.

But I wish I also had the magnetic pickup. Actually the combination you have with piezos + the 2 pickups most be just incredible.

Hey, maybe you can knock at Rick's door for me and ask him if he will ever finish the Diamond magnetic pickup for Carlos, from Miami! :hyper: :help:

Anyhow, I would also love to have a 5-string Electroline, but with the customer service I have been getting, I'm just afraid the bass will take 2 years to be ready... :rollno:

Man, I love this Emoticon things :bag:
  8. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Some companies aren't entirely on top of the web thing. I would call when in doubt.
  9. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    You definately need to call. Turner is not the most internet-heavy guy. Their customer service is not the best. I actually got stood up for a scheduled tour of the shop when I first bought my bass. If you keep on them though they will make it right.

I actually didn't have this bass built for me. It was built in 1999 and has sat in the back of my friend's shop since 2003. I've been playing this bass in the shop for over a year and he's been saving it for me. I finally bucked up and took it home.

I find the best sound is with a half and half blend of the piezos and magnetic pickups (sometimes a little more of the piezos sounds better).

Still debating getting a Nordstrand. I'm thinking of making a trip down to his area in November to see his shop. By then I should have enough to commission a 5-string.
  10. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    4 knobs is perfect for me. Most active basses intimidate me with their treble, mid, mid freq. and bass. I usually end up crying and rocking back and forth. If it were passive I really wouldn't need any knobs. I always just use full blend and full volume with the tone at half mast.

And looks are always subjective. I just get all drooly when I see some of the beautiful basses on here (especially the Nordstrands). I still love the look of that plain swamp ash in my Turner.
  11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Nice power stance. :bassist:

Cool bass too.
  12. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    That's a great bass, as said earlier Rick is a master at this bass thing!