Me and my truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ahh...finally took the plunge. I admit that I´m afraid of the truss rod :)
    A week ago my bass started to buzz on all 5 strings in various frets. I´ve owned this bass for about 5yrs now and I have never encountered this before. After thoroughly reading posts here about truss rod adjustments etc. I decided to try to loosen it a bit to create more bow in the neck to see if that will cure my buzzing problem. At first I had some trouble finding the right sized Allen wrench. One was not supplied with my bass, how dare they!
    After finding a suitable allen wrench I took the plunge, screwed off the cover which conceals the truss rod, and I turned it 1/4 counter-clockwise. It was different than what I expected. Instead of accuratly, slowly turning the truss rod 1/4 turn, it just fell into exactly 1/4 turn with just a little twist. There was no resistance all the way. It just went, "click" and the rod was turned 1/4 of a turn. Now I just have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if my buzz has gone. If not, then I guess I´ll come to peace with my lack of knowledge in this area and take it to a pro who´ll do it properly in exchange of the green stuff. (cash that is :D)

P.s. Was this action likely to solve my problems? :)

Best regards,
    Ivar

2. In Europe.. the cash has multiple colours :D

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hehe :D

Also here in Iceland :)
    We have reds, purple, different shades of blue etc :)

I just took the universal approach...the dollar that is :=)

/me holds his breath until /me can try out the bass tomorrow. *gasp*

4. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    take your bass to the shop where you bought it. you shouldn´t have to pay anything for a simple truss rod adjustment. at least i have not to pay anything at my shop.

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I thought I better post a follow up to let you know how it went :)

Today I went to band practise, and it was the first time I played the bass since adjusted the truss rod.
    First my strings were "a bit" out of tune, but after I tuned it, the bass sounded wonderful. No more buzzing like crazy.

I´m glad that I tried this myself, the only way to learn is to do it yourself :D

Thx to all the people on Talkbass who of indirectly assisted me in my quest!

Best regards,
    Ivar