Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Me and my truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ahh...finally took the plunge. I admit that I´m afraid of the truss rod :)
    A week ago my bass started to buzz on all 5 strings in various frets. I´ve owned this bass for about 5yrs now and I have never encountered this before. After thoroughly reading posts here about truss rod adjustments etc. I decided to try to loosen it a bit to create more bow in the neck to see if that will cure my buzzing problem. At first I had some trouble finding the right sized Allen wrench. One was not supplied with my bass, how dare they!
    After finding a suitable allen wrench I took the plunge, screwed off the cover which conceals the truss rod, and I turned it 1/4 counter-clockwise. It was different than what I expected. Instead of accuratly, slowly turning the truss rod 1/4 turn, it just fell into exactly 1/4 turn with just a little twist. There was no resistance all the way. It just went, "click" and the rod was turned 1/4 of a turn. Now I just have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if my buzz has gone. If not, then I guess I´ll come to peace with my lack of knowledge in this area and take it to a pro who´ll do it properly in exchange of the green stuff. (cash that is :D)

P.s. Was this action likely to solve my problems? :)

Best regards,
    Ivar

2. In Europe.. the cash has multiple colours :D

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hehe :D

Also here in Iceland :)
    We have reds, purple, different shades of blue etc :)

I just took the universal approach...the dollar that is :=)

/me holds his breath until /me can try out the bass tomorrow. *gasp*

4. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    take your bass to the shop where you bought it. you shouldn´t have to pay anything for a simple truss rod adjustment. at least i have not to pay anything at my shop.

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I thought I better post a follow up to let you know how it went :)

Today I went to band practise, and it was the first time I played the bass since adjusted the truss rod.
    First my strings were "a bit" out of tune, but after I tuned it, the bass sounded wonderful. No more buzzing like crazy.

I´m glad that I tried this myself, the only way to learn is to do it yourself :D

Thx to all the people on Talkbass who of indirectly assisted me in my quest!

Best regards,
    Ivar