Me first pick up post

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JWC, May 30, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    On my Fender P, the A string sounds hideous when plucked over the PUs. So, I lowered the PUs and it still sounds like its overdriven. Also, I tried it on about 5 or 6 amps so it isn't the amp, and I've used several chords so it isn't them either. So, whats needs to be done here?
  2. Try changing the strings. Also, mess with your vol and tone, see if you can isolate it.

If none of this works, you might have bad wiring or even a faulty pole piece. If that's the case, then some Bartolini, EMG or Seymour Duncan passive P's might make a dent in your bank balance ;)
  3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I've changed the strings several times since with Ernie Balls and Darrios, several different gauges. It must be the wiring then. oh well, guess its time to empty the pockets.
  4. yah, it's most likely the wiring. that doesn't happen too often, does it?
    how new is the bass?
  5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    about 9 months old. im probably up the creek.
  6. I would take the pickguard off and take a quick look inside to see that there are no loose wires or anything like that
  7. Theoretically, if any wires were loose then the entire circuit would be broken and JWC wouldn't hear anything. It's most likely that when Fender ordered the big ol' reels of wire from their supplier, they got a piece of bad copper in a section of wire. Probably wore out over time. Either that or they had crappy solder, or bad solder joint.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My exprience w/re-stringing Fender is that if you don't leave enough wind on the A string, the string will rattle @ the nut causing a sound like you are describing.

The headstock of a Fender is not tilted back. When you re-string the bass you don't need to cut off as much excess off of the "A" string.

Try this. Hold the "A" by the headstock & hit an open "A". That will tell you if there isn't enough wind on the tuning machine.

If this is not the problem, I don't know what is. :(