Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Me playing By The Way

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. http://u13.net/host/scott/by the way.mp3

My attempt at playing By The Way(and singing it, if you listen carefully you will hear another voice come in). Anyway, constructive criticism please, no 'you're rubbish', ok?

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Your notes, timing & finger consistency are in need of a LOT of work. In the nicest way possible you need a LOT of practice.

3. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    A metronome is your friend...

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Your timing on the first verse part is ok, but goes completely to pot after that. You REALLY need to work on your timing.

Your finger technique needs a lot of work, a very clanky sound and inconsistent note volumes.

Let me turn it around and ask you, listening to that recording, what do you think you need to work on?

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    *points up*

That's what I told you (in a nutshell), Nick. You said you played it "perfectly" and "exact", looks like someone needs to hit the books!... And after I'm done hitting books, you should practice. :p

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Why are you linked with Figjam's website???

7. Since there have been more comments than compliments on this thread,I'll give you one... Nice gear man,a Thumb is <3...Also,good choice of song,Flea's lines are good times.

8. Well, thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna do a better version soon, but those darn warwick strings are sticky(I aint the only eprson to point that out). I sometimes can't get my finger off the string in time.

9. Just recorded a much better version, most of my notes were correct, it's just taking practice(I ain't played this tune for months).

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I asked Figgy, my buddy to host them :D

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't have much to add-as said, the timing is terrible and the fingerstyle needs work-how are the strings 'sticky'?

Make sure that when you upload your new version, it's to the best of your abilities. You've caught a lot of flack on TB because you upload stuff that isn't up to the par you say your playing is, and you respond "well I was just messing around." Don't put anything online that has an excuse behind it. Put up only your best so that the critiques won't be for nothing.

12. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Let me add some contructive and prescriptive criticism...

Your timing needs a lot of work, and you need to work very hard on playing notes cleanly- this involves both your fretting and playing hands. In particular, your playing falls apart when you change strings.

So here are some good tunes to work on for those areas.

First, work on playing steady consistant 8th notes. I recommend playing along to U2's "With or Without You." It's slower than the RHCP song but is a similar musical idea. Get those 8th notes smooth, consistant, and clean.

Then to build up your string changing abilities in both hands, work on The Police's "Invisible Sun" and Sting's "Fortress Around Your Heart." Both involve octave jumps with lots of fourths, fifths, and sevenths. Good stepping stones along the way to the Flea part.

Really try my suggestions. Start with the U2 song and don't go on to the others until you have the U2 down smoothly. Then do "Invisible Sun" until you have it down. Then add "Fortress."

Once you can play all three of them cleanly at the recorded tempos, get a metronome and practice each one, each time increasing the tempo by 5 bpm or so. When you reach a tempo that causes you to make mistakes, go back down by 5 bpm and practice there for a few days.

If you do this, practicing these songs for 15 minutes every day for 3 months, you will be amazed at how much more ready you are to play the Flea parts.

I'll leave slapping suggestions for someone else, as slapping isn't my forte, but until you get timing, strength, and consistency down, slapping will be futile anyway.

13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    And take your bass to a tech for a setup. It's not helping you, though you shouldn't use that as an excuse.

14. It is set up, I had too much trebl;e stuff going on, but now it's sorted. It sounds fat and the strings have just about worn in nicely. On my other version of By The Way I really worked on listening carefully, and had about 3 attempts until I got a near perfect version(at the end I hit a wrong note but bah). So hopefully this might get me some more credit. All I need is it hosting.

15. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    FWIW, you generally don't get third or fourth or fifth chances on the stage or in the real world of performance in general....

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Don't be too hard on the kid-I'm sure it took Flea three or four shots to get it perfect for the CD.

17. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I only got through the first 20 seconds. You need work on timing, hitting the strings at a consistent volume, and hitting the right notes. During the part at 0:35, pretty much every note you play is way off time, and I'll be honest... it's painful to listen to. You might just have to play some less difficult stuff to get your technique and timing down, then moving up to the Flea lines.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hmmm...must be that crazy Canadian time in action again...;)

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The verse is completely wrong.

20. First off I won't knock you because you haven't been playing that long. As said above you are going to catch a lot of flack everytime you put something up that doesn't sound good then make excuses about it. Second---do you really have to start off by playing something by the Chili Peppers? Try something easier & work your way up. I started off playing simpler songs like Iron Man & Paranoid. I think you're jumping the gun a little as a beginner trying to play a song that someone with a few years of experience may not be able to play. You sound like you have potential & if you keep working at it & practicing in a few years or so you'll be ready for a decent band. Lastly with all of your talks about this bass you have & that bass and what not---a great bass isn't going to make you sound like a pro. I've heard great players play on the crappiest of basses & still amaze me.
    Here is an clip of a band I was in a couple of years ago(not my current band Mudshovel). Not the greatest of recordings & I'm playing a crappy Fender Jazz MIM. http://www.mudshovel.net/realme.mp3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.