Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Me playing Dream Theater's Ytse Jam Bass Solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lokire, Jun 10, 2005.

1. So I basically learned Ytse Jam (up through the solo) today. Awesome song. The bass solo especially kicks major ass. So I ran the track through some filters to 'remove' the original bass solo and played it myself with the backing tracks there. Sounds pretty sweet to me, though the tapping part at the end still isn't quite right. I haven't figured out exactly what Myung was doing there. It's not exactly the cleanest bass sound so it's tough to figure out by ear.

But yeah. Let me know what you think :bassist:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=567568&T=2656

Cheers :D

2. not really that familiar with dream theater, but sounded pretty good.

3. Haha I love the Ytse Jam, so much fun to play.. that sounded good dude, I think it's basically perfect

At the end Myung does some tapping thing for a seconds but I think thats just to end it, it's nothing special

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Sounds good, does that solo require a 6 string or not?

5. You only need a 4-string for that solo. Actually, I think a 4-string would work for that entire song. :bassist:

6. "images and words" and "When Dream And Day Unite" were recored w/ 4 string basses, so yes.

7. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Hey Lokire,I know it's a very old thread but I'm working on the YTSE Jam with a 4 string with no ear training,bad tabs for the solo and 2 injuries.:meh: (also add the "not a good player" part.)

I wonder if you took a play along video?

(If not,its time to do.lol):)

8. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    it's not working for me...?

9. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    It didn't work for me too,its a 2 year old link,would be a miracle if it worked.:)

10. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    o wow, i didnt even check the dates.

11. Yikes! Blast from the past :smug:

I know I recorded a video of it a long time ago. I think I had it up on Acidplanet before they wiped my account clean. I'll look around my hard-drive for it when I get home from work later tonight :)

12. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Thanks man!

13. Lokire, that was effing awesome :|, its prefect, your tone is awesome... i love that solo, and its great that you're playing it. Myungs tone isnt so clean so you cant make it out on it

14. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Lokire,thanks a lot,you'r better than Myung!:p

Did you use a compressor on that video?Also how do you record video?

15. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    nice video!