Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Me playing "Power" by Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by johnm0187, Feb 10, 2004.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Ohhhh, I don't think Marcus'd like that too much... :eek:

Little more work required for your slap tech, man. You're stumbling over everything and the rhythms are all over the shop. To be fair, it's a difficult piece, and it doesn't sound as if you're up for it just yet IMO. By any chance are you reading the music as you go along? That's kinda what it sounds like; with your reading being a bit un-immediate and scatty.

Cool tone, though! Keep it up, souljah mon.

2. yea. I realize I'm not great at playing it. But it's hard for me to keep rhythm without drums. When I get better at play the song I will prolly make a midi file of the drums and play with that. Thanks for the feedback and anymore is appreciated.

John

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    drums aint gonna help the wrong notes

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's a good start, just keep practicing and make sure you can really hear what's going on.

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    NB. Just a point you should be aware of - if you can't keep solid time whilst playing solo, then you're not fit to be called a 'bass player', IMO. Maybe that's where you should pool your efforts.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Concentrate on the rhythm of what you're playing. Listen closely to the rhythm Marcus plays it. IMO the proper rhythm can be more important than hitting every note or getting the pyrotechnics. Work on playing it well but slowly first.

brad cook

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, it's a good start. Maybe start slowly playing the most important notes, no ghosts or fills, and when that's solid start adding in the other parts. That's the way I work out slap lines in that 'style'. Also, there's no shame in slowing the music down to figure it out.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Solid time whilst playing a solo isn't important because playing a solo isn't important. Solid time while playing is important though. Haven't give it a listen though.

This though...

is one of the best replies ever.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmm - about 95% of Jazz is made up of solos - a typical Jazz gig that I attend - a tune or head is about a minute followed by about 15 minutes of solos.

Don't ever say that solos are unimportant if you audition for a Jazz band!! ;)

Anyway - I think you misunderstood the point which was that you shouldn't have to rely on anybody else to keep good time - you should be able to do this on your own - i.e. "solo" !

10. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Fool. I meant 'solo' in this context as 'unaccompanied', not strictly a SOLO - if your internal clock isn't ticking perfectly whenever you're playing (no matter what is going on sonically), you are worthless until you get it right IMO. Having to rely on a drummer in order to play well is just as bad as having to glance at the pianist's left hand to play well - it denotes a lack of proficiency in one of music's most essential areas.

EDiT: Bruce, on the ball as usual. Must be the Oz-Brit connection :ninja:

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Beoiapataha[12gnadgi2 qwetqagm wetaoggb

that's my solo, and it was bad ass, and if you don't agree, I'm going to kick your ass!

12. P60J65

P60J65

Nov 11, 2003
    how old are you? if you dont mind.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

14. I have listened to some of your Wooten covers. You've got some nice chops,just need to work on your technique a bit to get it tight. I think :meh:

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

:rolleyes: I sure hope you meant this in the "I think Mr. T is funny" context and not the "I'm a jerk" sense. Because Power is a very soloish tune in a sense that it is bass solo like in nature, so because you were vague doesn't make me a fool.

16. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    It's too hot at the moment for me to even bother trying to educate you, mate. If you don't get it, you missed something valuable because of your need to have an in-depth 'Stupid Matt'ised' FAQ on everything before your eyes. Yes, I would call that foolish.

17. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Get the rhythm first. One thing about that song is the sense of rhythm. Even the solos.

And keep practicing. Peace.

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I also listened to Classical thump, You need to listen to it a bit more, you are missing alot of notes and a lot of rythms... it is a hard song to learn though and it is a start, but before you make another recording of it, make sure you have it a bit more solid...

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's just completely inappropriate to start off your message by calling anyone a fool. This is just a conversation about music. People are going to differ in opinions. Deal with it.

brad cook