Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

me playing prelude from first suite [movie]

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by zaghy, Sep 5, 2005.

1. zaghy

zaghy

Mar 1, 2003
    Serbia
    hi!

one day this summer i got camera from my friend, and while i was practicing i thought it would be interresting to see myself playing.

here i am playing prelude from first bach suite. it is not complete cause camera couldn't record more. it is not good cause i don't play good. :)

click here! - windows movie, 2.3MB.

2. redriot

redriot

Mar 1, 2005
    germany
    your bowing arm looks nice! (though i play french)
    keep up the good work :)

greetings
    philipp

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Your bowing arm does look great. Mechanical precision, actually.

That was actually the first time I've ever actually heard it on bass :). Not bad, just gotta pay a little bit more to the intonation occasionally.

I'd love to do the Prelude as the classical part of my university auditions (all jazz programs here require/STRONGLY RECCOMEND a classical piece.) Did you do it transposed? Also, what edition were you using to learn it?

4. zaghy

zaghy

Mar 1, 2003
    Serbia
    Thanks for the comments, even good ones. :)
    For the intonation, I sometimes doubt I even had one! :bawl:

This is transcription by Croatian bassist Josip Novosel, from 1976. He has transcribed all 6 suites, and my teacher said that it's easiest that she's seen.

And yes, it's transposed perfect quint down, so if you read it in tenor clef, you are in tune. :D

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Very cool. Quint = fifth, yes?

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Zaghy,
    Try and get you hands on the recordings of Anner Bylsma of these suites and Edgar Meyer's recent recordings as well. Your foundational technique is quite good. Musically, I believe that actually listening to the pieces played on the Double Bass will help you put the sound into your ears. This Prelude has a "musical soul" that you need to hear. That's why it's a Prelude and not an Etude.

Edgar Meyer's performances are very inspiring. Anner Bylsma
    plays "Baroque Cello" so his performances should give you some insight into the way the Suites originally sounded.

Ric

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    One of the finest things I've seen written on TB.

8. Naturally, Yo-Yo Ma's recordings of them are flawless. He plays them with such ease. You should check those out as well and you can actually just download them from some places.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yep. I love his -- absolutely incredible playing.

10. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Pablo Cassalls (sp??) take on it is phenomenal as well. Very different from Yo Yo Ma's approach.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Cassal's is very different indeed -- just as beautifully played if not more from what I've heard, but I've also heard that the recording technologies themselves imposed severe limitations on what you can hear from them, whereas Yo-Yo Ma's are played AND recorded quite wonderfully. Definitely worth it to have both versions if you're going to make a serious go at the cello suites, though.

12. ;) Not actually what I'm aiming for, but -hey- whatever floats your bow arm!

J