Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Me + Synth Player = This (Should I persue? Opinions Please!)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 15, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I put the song on myspace

http://www.myspace.com/elviking

It's called Joel Song With Bass. I took one of this guys songs we jammed with and recorded the bassline I came up with. Tell me what you think, my tone isn't great, something is going on with my soundcard.

I guess this stuff is called Electroclash and it's a modern New Wave thing.

This one is weird because he had a keyboard bassline to it, and I added another one... does it seem too busy? I think so, it's strange.

This isn't completely my genre, but he wants to add more musicians, get a real drummer, etc.

What do you think? Should I persue this... I don't know if this is completely my bag yet. I dig it, but I picture myself in a different genre... but I don't know.

Thoughts?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also, this guy use to sing in a punk band, so his theory is limited. He doesn't really even know chords, I asked him what the chord progression was, and he didn't know, so luckily I've been working on listening/figuring things out.

Eek, the bass is pretty... blah, it's a one off.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I actually liked this, it's very New Romantics/Manchester (Britain) circa late 80's meets later Blur...basically very British sounding. And I can't stand most new wave retro groups. I guess if you enjoy playing with him, or get some enjoyment out of making the music you should continue with it. But not if you honestly don't like it.

You can always try and incorporate your influences into the music, I know you're a big King Crimson fan, and they did a whole album that was sort of like this (sort of). I guess it depends on whether the other guy's receptive to it though.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Holy 80s with a disco outro Batman :bassist:

like I got to totally run, Square Pegs is coming on fer sure:hyper:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He's very receptive to influence... in fact, when writing that song w/bassline, he was like... "Uhhh, do you want a bass solo or something" because he knows that I tend to play flashy... I explained I'm trying to get away from being flashy, trying to simplify you know... but he is down for new ideas.

I think it's funny because when trying to find a term for my bass playing on this song... all he could come up with was "sexy" :cool: I shoot for that now and then.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Go for it.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bwahahaha, I think he might have ditched me. He's been on myspace a few times since I messaged him with the song... and he's ignored it... well, maybe, it says it's sent, but not read.

I think my playing is too dark for him sometimes. The first time we jammed, I had an octave plus distortion thing going and I was playing very evil, but I was trying to match his synth sound... but heavier.

I'll give it a few more days, then I'm going to try and start a more... Matt Tillian band...