1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Me, then vs now

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jul 12, 2020.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    THEN: Resented having a Fender as my only good bass for years, always wanted something else.

NOW: I have a few non-Fenders but end up playing the Fenders 99% of the time.

THEN: I loved Ampeg tube amps and cabs without tweeters.

NOW: Some things never change :D

THEN: Loved odd shaped basses like Steinies, Explorers and V's.

NOW: Bought a couple odd shaped basses and realized that most of them are impossible for me to play comfortably.

THEN: I loved treble and new roundwounds.

NOW: The treble knob keeps getting set lower and lower, and while I still love roundwounds, I never change them anymore.

THEN: I hated flatwounds and tapewounds.

NOW: I love flatwounds but still hate tapewounds.

THEN: I loved active EMG pickups and preamps the second I heard them.

NOW: I still like them, but I prefer passive pickups with no preamps. Still EMG's, though.

THEN: I thought hollowbodies were useless.

NOW: I've got two hollowbodies, and while they don't get the most play, I do love them.

THEN: Wanted a 5-string the second I saw one.

NOW: Got a 5 string 30 years ago, used it for a few years as my only bass, but I try to avoid it as much as possible now, though I must admit I have a lot of fun playing it at home.

THEN: Broke strings constantly.

NOW: Haven't broken a string in 20 years.

THEN: I loved playing lots of notes and hated simple repetitive bass lines.

NOW: I still love playing lots of notes, but I try to be less gratuitous with them, and I'm totally into how hard it is to play simple repetitive bass lines without screwing them up or adding notes that don't belong.

THEN: Resented bass players who were better than me.

NOW: Love bass players who are better than me, especially those who challenge societal bass-playing norms, but I'm still my personal favorite :D

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    A man at peace with himself...

3. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Never owned a Steinberger or other odd shaped basses (OSB's?) but I can identify with most of your list.
    Plus;
    Then: Loved 2-2X15 cabs and a giant rack full of power amps and x-overs and preamps and at least 2 basses.
    Now: A SansAmp VTDI a tuner and one bass and life is good. :thumbsup:
    B.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Great post.

My journey is more of a weird curve.

I started off very traditional. I played a P bass in the high school jazz band. I thought it was the coolest object on Earth. I played very traditional music. Jazz was it. P bass was it. Flats. Thuddy tone.

Then....

Rock. I went straight from the P bass to pointy basses with active electronics. Loved them too. Hot pink Kramer with Active EMGs. Pointy Ibanez basses one after the other. Fancier bass lines. Long hair. Wacky "modern" (at the time) rigs. ART Nightbass processors and ADA power amps racked on top of odd cabs. Everything but rock sucked. (What a dumb little kid. :D)

It has taken decades, but my journey has slowly brought me back to passive basses and more traditional tones and rigs. I have flats on one P bass. But pretty much everything I own except a fretless G&L are passive. Some of my basses look a little "out there". But their sound is much more traditional. My musical tastes are all over the map.

5. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    THEN: Drooled at the idea of owning a 6 string
    NOW: Still perfectly happy with 5

THEN: Loved onboard active electronics
    NOW: Too shrill for me. A good passive pickup and external preamp is my sauce now.

mikewalker and JimmyM like this.
  6. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    It’s amazing how similar we are... I wonder, is this a somewhat typical progression?

7. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Rehoboth Beach,DE
    Then: Wanted a top of the line Fender P
    Now: Realize my highly modded Cort P bass is more than I could ever ask for.

Ross W. Lovell, zie and JimmyM like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

then: heavyweight = tone.
    now: :laugh:

then: always have at least one fretted ax...just in case.
    now: :laugh:

then: flat wounds suck.
    now: flat wounds suck.

9. Then: Didn't own a bass or guitar. Musical ability on a scale of 1-10... <1

Now: Own five basses and three guitars. Musical ability on a scale of 1-10... <2

Thanks a lot TB...

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Then:

Not hung up on gear. Very happy with the sound of my Acoustic amps, my Ampeg B-15N, my Gibson Ripper, and my Fender JB.

Insisted the instrument was called an “electric bass” and not a “bass guitar.”

Didn’t care for slap.

I played like me.

Now:

Not hung up on gear. Like the sound of my SWR, my Ampeg B-15N, my Gibson Ripper, and my Squier JB.

Call the instrument anything you like. I don’t care.

Don’t care for slap.

I play like me.

I’ve also since acquired a ridiculous amount of additional gear, all of which I really like. Small surprise since it would have been pretty silly keeping any of it if I didn’t.

11. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Havent broke a string since the eighties

Had all the usual tube amps, you couldnt give me one today. A tube DI in the studio is one thing , I dont care to carry or maintain those bad boys no more

Pretty much always played some Fender bass or another and still do but my collection has variety these days

I only play 5 string out of nesesscity , its a tool of the trade

Flats, rounds.....its all good

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Weird. I'm having the same issue.

Then: P-Bass? Never! Hate them things.
    Now: My P-Bass is the most comfortable playing bass I own now.

13. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Glad to see you know yourself.
    Haven't thought through all aspects, but when it comes to basses..
    Then: Buying, searching and owning lots of cheap and mid-ranged instruments.
    Now: Have smaller stable of better instruments made to my specs and I'm no longer buying or searching.

JimmyM likes this.
  14. The biggest step in my journey was from 34" to short scale.

When I started playing bass, pre-internet days and I was clueless that such a thing as a SS even existed. I knew I loved the bass but just didn't feel comfortable with the instrument. Once I got my first Musicmaster I never looked back.

Other than that I'm a pretty simple guy, no effects, just a bass and an amp. Around 2007 I briefly tried a Line 6 amp that had built in effects, just found that what I dialed in at home sounded like aural quicksand in a PA. Now it's my passive SS's into the Fender Rumble 500 and I'm good.

Pretty boring, I know. :sour:

15. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    then: 1978 Jazz bass

now: 1978 Jazz bass

16. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    THEN: Loved doing bass solos
    NOW: Soloing not a priority for me. Would rather construct memorable songs with interesting bass parts as opposed to utilitarian vehicles for prolonged blowing that makes peoples eyes glaze over.

THEN: Went through a hardcore jazz period
    NOW: Opened up to a lot of musical forms but got very turned off to straight ahead pure jazz because of the prolonged soloing, snooty elitism and people like Wynton Marsalis, Keith Jarret, Stanley Crouch etc. Seems jazz lost its wit, humor and warmth.

17. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Then: FINGERS! Picks if I have to.
    Now: PICKS! Fingers if I feel like it.

Then: Babysitting my friend's dad's '73 sunburst finish/black guard/maple neck Precision is fun, but I don't think I'll ever actually own anything like this.
    Now:
    0A711C75-0908-4D33-94E2-46A3E3044A12.jpeg

Then: I sure like this Peavey Mark III.
    Now: I sure wish I had kept that Peavey Mark III. Maybe I'll like a Mark IV?
    665C159F-E121-470A-883A-2C1DB4E99CE8.jpeg

Then:
    C1273DE2-528E-440D-8667-BCD0B0221732.jpeg

Now:
    14E5E628-3359-4356-AEF1-83B99E4A14FB.jpeg

Then:
    10532731-1C3D-43CD-8156-40C27DB961F5.jpeg

Now:
    AFBCE3B4-1CFB-434A-ABD3-040C8B7D195B.jpeg

Fun idea, @JimmyM

18. Nice. Much is same here. Still don't own a fender, but, I did build a fenderish. My talman still sounds better, but my nuggies plays better and looks better. I never turn my tweeter on...ever.

JimmyM likes this.
  19. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    THEN: would never consider gigging P's.
    NOW: P's are all I gig.

THEN: would never consider gigging anything but my Trace "big iron".
    NOW: no interest in schlepping the "big iron" around.

THEN: felt bass belonged up-front... lead bass & regular solos hell yeah!
    NOW: feel bass is mainly support... lead bass & regular solos hell no! Occasional embellishments or a brief solo is sometimes acceptable, but is always the exception rather than the rule.

THEN: preferred college-town bars with a healthy appreciation for prog originals, deep cuts, and made-our-own covers.
    NOW: prefer dive bars with no patience for any of these shenanigans.

THEN: my tone and style were sacred and not to be messed with by outlanders.
    NOW: my tone and style take a back seat to the band's sound. If I need to make a change I make it.

THEN: it was about the music.
    NOW: it's about the audience.

THEN: would buy a bass in any color as long as it was black.
    NOW: will buy a bass in any color as long as it's NOT black.

THEN: turdburst & tort? no thanks jeff.
    NOW: turdburst & tort? no thanks jeff.

Needless to say, I've done a lot of growing up over the decades

20. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    You are the Charles Darwin of bassists.

audreycashin, JimmyM and pcake like this.