Mean Mr. Mustard

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by paniak17, Jul 13, 2004.

1. whats up with the bass in Mean Mr. Mustard By the Beatles, What effect is going on. It sounds like a Tuba. Very Loud Too, I like it!
  2. also, im sure its a bass not any other instrument because i have the sheet music to it, and under bass it says that...Its a crazy effect!
  3. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    Oh it's very much a bass. I've read that he brought back the Hofner into the recording studio during '69, which is proven true by the studio and on-top-of-a-London-flat recordings(as seen in the move, Let it Be). That bass has a distinct sound. If you listen to the Beatles' Anthology, no.3, "I Dig a Pony", you'll hear that his Hofner has a dry, muddy sound that gets polished up(thanks to one Mr. Phil Spector--Lady Killer! :rollno: ) , for the final release.

My other guess is that the treble is set rather higher than he usually plays it, and the gain is also high. Gives it that grungy sound.
  4. yeah i was kinda thinking it was the bass, considering most of Abbey Road has that sound. I tried the Treble Gain thing, and it didnt seem to work. :(