Mean Sounding Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Jan 12, 2006.

1. I'm lookin for a mean sounding bass. Something like P-Nuts tone on 311's "You Wouldn't Beleive" although I know almost all of that song is all low B string stuff. I'm also pretty found of Juan Nelsons of Ben Harpers tone, which is more growly than mean. I'm lookin for growly, mean, deep sounding, and warm.

Thanks dudes.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    A lightwave...
  4. If a Warwick sounds mean, a Rick sounds downright fierce...

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Okay add a "Rick" as well.
  6. Rickenbackers have pussy tone.

IMO, get a modern bass, and scoop mids. Mean tone.
  7. Um...

You've never heard Chris Squire or Geddy Lee play a Ric, have you?
  8. Yes. Maybe rush's overwhelming pussiness as a band effects his tone or something.

EDIT: I just don't like Rics, thats all. Don't take people so seriously on the internet.
  9. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    i think you meant "useless tone." ;)
  10. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs

go listen to arch enemy, Hal on his Rick,now that is some mean ****in tone.
  11. Point taken, douche :smug:
  12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You might give "Freewill" on the live album Exit Stage Left a listen. The bass solo in particular has one of the of the most angry, growly bass tones of all time, regardless of what one might think of Rush's music. Chris Squire gets a pretty nasty sound on "Roundabout" too. There are a lot of well-founded critical descriptions of the Ric tone, but I think "pussy" isn't one of them.

BTW, "effects" means "creates" in that context. "Affects" is the word you were looking for.
  13. Warwicks, Spectors, and Stingrays are all pretty mean sounding basses if played and eq'd properly. I hear Ricks can be as well but can't really comment there.
  14. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Might I suggest the Bongo?

She'll give you ...

* The bottom-end "oomf" of a P-Bass
    * The "growl" of a J-Bass
    * The slappy "splank" of a Stingray
    * The angry "roar" of a Wal

... and everything in between. :cool:
  15. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    * And the cool looks of a Daisy bass
  16. I get a Mean, punchy sound out of my MTD 435 every time!!!
  17. Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    Yamaha attitude Limited II :bassist:
  18. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

Yeah, that Fieldy has a great tone! Doesn't sound like rumble and clicks or nothing....Chris Squire has nothing on him...and Lemmy's the biggest pussy of all!:rollno:

19. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    I would say a Phillips Bulldog, Andreas
    Shark bass, Tobias Growler, B.C. Rich Warlock, Bich, Ironbird, Eagle, Yamaha Attitude Those are all very mean sounding to me.
  20. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Ric all the way. Dont believe the ONE guy who made the pussy comment. Listen to Yes-Heart of the Sunrise or Yours is no Disgrace. Im not a big fan of alot of Yes or their vocals, but I cant get enough of Chris Squire and that SOUND! That should give you an idea of what you can get with a Rickenbacker. Thats why I bought a new 4003, and will be buying a burgundyglo 4001 someday