Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

meanest distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Dec 2, 2003.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    k i know the policy on distortions so if this violates this sorry remove it. K on to the question. Whats the meanest distortion out there. No more of this halfway bs. I want a pedal that will take my sound from smooth ampeg tone to hurt your teeth distortin without sucking out my bottom end. Do i need to just mod a guitar distortion pedal or what? Im looking for sorta that bass distortion the guy from black rebel motorcycle gang uses. If anyone has any suggestions theyd be much appreciated.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's hard to get a pedal which does both extremes, and does them well.

To my ears, the best one for this is the Fulltone Bassdrive. It's two channel, so you can switch between overdrive and distortion boost channels at the flip of a footswitch. You could easily have a smooth overdrive setting for channel 1 and a much heavier distortion on channel 2.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im sorry i probably worded that wrong. That does sound like a good pedal though ill check it out. I just want the mean part. I already have the ampeg tone, as i have an ampeg amp. I just want a pedal that when i step on it children cry.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Fulltone Bass Drive and think it's capable of pretty much any sound you might want...that includes "mean" distortion.

Another great pedal for "mean" distortion is the Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass. I've tried one and it'll hurt your teeth if you're not careful.:D

Oh...one more thing...if you don't want to lose the bottom end, don't even CONSIDER guitar distortion.

5. why not? just replace a couple parts costing under a dollar and it has as much bass as you need

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Go for it! Tell me how it turns out.;)

BTW: LOVE yer sig!:rolleyes:

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, now I understand what you're looking for better.

The Zvex Woolly Mammoth will definitely make children cry. It's one of those 'love it or hate it' pedals. It wasn't the right sound for me.

Black Cat Octave Fuzz can get a very mean sound, it's versatile and let's you blend in your original signal with the effected signal.

I've also heard good things about the Carl Martin Fuzz and the Voodoo Bass.

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    and if money's no object, try a ZVex Mammoth with a ZVex Machine in front of it (or maybe behind it) - liquid "ouch". ask Basstriaxis from Dead Hand System. He likes pedals a lot.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sans Amp TRI AC, three progammable channels that can get as mean as you need it to get, without sounding sterile. You can set them all to be mean, at differnt gains, or with different EQ for sifferent situations, etc.

edit: this pedal does NOT kill the bottom end.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you want the meanest, sickest, teeth-hurtining-est pedal out there, get a ZVex Machine. Ouch! But make sure you try before you buy, as it's much different kind of distortion than you are probably used to. It's an odd order harmonics, fuzz - essentially a fuzz that works backwards from what's normal. I use it alot; it's my secret weapon... on second thought, forget about getting one. Can't have you coppin' my sound!

The Wooly Mammoth is cool too, but really only works well with a passive bass. And it's a FUZZ. I mean fuzzy. Really fuzzy. And really cool. But it's not for everybody, so make sure you try before you buy on this one as well. And bring your P-Bass with you.

11. sorry ram im gonna go cry now:meh:

if you toke me for being a little bitchy there i didnt mean to so dont be rude

12. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    I'd highly recommend checking out the Carl Martin Heavy Drive. It's my favorite for getting that
    heavy crazy crunch that could make a guitarist jealous. It keeps the low end OK, not great.
    I would highly recommend putting an EQ after just about any distortion pedal to shape it and get
    the sound you want. I have my sansamp DI after my distortion pedals.

My favorite distortion pedal is the Fulltone Bassdrive, but it just doesn't get *crazy*. Much
    more of an overdrive sound. The CM Heavy drive can get some serious distortion that still sounds
    good. (no offense to the ZVex lovers, but the wooley mammoth gets serious distortion that just
    doesn't sound too good....to my ears anyway....)

13. what about the boss OBD-3. i like mine :). It has a pretty wide variety with it. you can just get some overtones, some edgy distortion, or full out industrial power. go to www.bossus.com and check out some samples.

- w00t :hyper:

EDIT : its actually the ODB-3. here is a direct link to it. althought they dont boost everything to the max, i found it can get a lot meaner then what they show.

http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=28

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That's because it's a FUZZ, not a distortion, in a classic sense of the word, anyway.

15. If you have the right bass and eq your amp right you can get a nice mean distortion/fuzz using an EHX Big Muff. Try it out first.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    ProCo Rat.

Peace
    Nick

17. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Has anyone used or tried the new Radial Bassbone? Looks to be damn cool, and uses a real 12AX7 tube, too. 2 channels, etc.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My Muff is extremely modified, fitted for BOSS Power adapters, blue LED's, and cranks out more bass than your standard American Muff. It's a cheap conversion and if you don't feel comfortable, I can do it for you.

19. Actually the Radial Bassbone does not use a tube unlike it's guitar bethren.
    I'm thinking of giving one a try anywayz, anyone out there tried it yet.
    It's either that or I give a Juggernaut a try. I've already used Boss ODB3 (yechh), Fulltone Bassdrive (nice overdrive but not distortion), and Crowther's Prunes and Custard (interesting envelope filter / drive) and now I'm looking for some rilly crazy distortion. I don't need the tube drive sound as I already use an early 70's SVT with a '73 Fender P so it's just something to jump out and scare people here and there.
    Any ideas?

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I actually met the creator of the Bassbone and disgused the features of it when he came into my Guitar Center to demonstrate different radial products.

The bass bone unlike the other radial stompboxes is not a distortion unit. Its mainly a switcher for two basses with a preamp designed to give you different sounds from each channel. It was designed with the idea that you could use two diffent basses with different tones and output levels without having to go to your amp and tweak the hell out of it between songs. Since you could set the gain level differently you can match the levels of active and passive basses independantly. I dont remember seeing a distortion function on the unit but im sure you could overdrive it if you tried. Its also important to note that the unit I saw was a prototype that he packed by mistake instead of the finished unit. He said the differences were minor though, like a ballanced out instead of a third input.

Peace
    Nick