Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meaning of "Ah Um"

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Lance Jaegan, May 15, 2001.

1. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Illinois
    I'm writing a paper on Mingus and his work on Mingus Ah Um, and I remember reading in Mingus: a Critical Biography that it was a "jokey" title which "needs no explanation to anyone who has had to study latin adjectives." Frankly, it's gibberish to me. I searched on the 'net and couldn't find any explanation of the title, and I was wondering if anyone here could possibly enlighten me? It'd be nice to explain the title.

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Not gonna bet this is right but.....
    I ounce heard a woman purred it in a suductive pleased kinda voice sounded like aaaaaaaa mmmmmmmmmm never heard those written words in my head the same.
    corse she cpuld have phrased it in a way thats more like i was forgeting her birthday all short and irritated

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    sorry about the spelling
    Andrew

4. No one else here took Latin in school?

Geez...

Well from what I remember (and I'm 99% certain of this), it's indeed a pun on a Latin grammatical concept.

Mingus is a "Latin-esque"-sounding name by virtue of the "-us" at the end... you know, like E Pluribus Unim ("Out of many, one."). Or Pastorius, for that matter (Latin for "shepherd," I believe).

So... what it looks like Charles did, was make up an imaginary Latin word (adj. in this case) -- Mingus. In Latin, that's the masculine form of the adjective. The feminine form would be "Minga" and the neuter form would be "Mingum".

So... in a Latin textbook, if "Mingus" were a real adjective, you'd see it listed like so:

Adj. -- Mingus, -a, -um.

Then, he took it, Anglicized it, and made it sound like someone mumbling.

Does that make sense? It's just a silly pun... but I would bet my next paycheck you'd never see anything that deep on a boyband title.

-a

5. That was so well done, I'd believe it even if it weren't true.

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    That's great! thanks amcrory! Ive learned something today!
    I hope I can still hear my ladie friend purrr those words when I look at the cover.
    AJ