Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

meaning of christmas and story

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by morningdove, Nov 25, 2002.

1. i have a little story to tell you about my children and what i unknowingly taught my children. does anyone else have any stories to tell about christmas.
    a few years ago, my sister, her ex-boyfriend now, and their daughter moved in with us. financially it was just so hard and we really had no money due to the fact that the boyfriend refused to get a job. sister got what she could to help out. however, it took all of my hubbies check and what she could bring in to just feed everyone. anyway, christmas was upon us and no money at all. i mean, i had enough to make a nice christmas dinner but that was it. my sisters daughter was just a newborn, however, my kids were 7 and 9. so i had to sit them down and explain that christmas gifts were not coming this year. that santa was going to late. now they knew santa was us, but i always taught them he is in the heart. and we always gave thanks that jesus was born on this day for us. anyway, they were really sad, however, they were understanding. they said, now remember, these were young kids at this time, at an age that you do not expect such things. anyway, they said, well mom, are we able to have turkey, stuffing, the works for dinner. i told them yes. they said, well, we are sad about the presents, but that is not what christmas is all about. it is about the joy of jesus (we are not church goers, however, we believe in god), and celebrating that jesus was born today. the presents are just a great thing for the day. they said as long as we have our traditional meal they would be happy. i cried, as i am doing right now remembering. well, in all this, my sister and i were in an automobile accident, this guy came barreling out of nowhere and totaled my car. i bounced a check to buy formula and diapers for the baby and food for my kids so i got in trouble for that. i know that was stupid. however, you do what you ahve to do to feed your kids. anyway, sister wound up getting a job 3 weeks before christmas. she got a paycheck on the 24th. it was low. but do you know, we took a taxi, and we took that little bit and we bought things that looked like the stuff they asked for but was not the exact thing, all of it on sale. we got home around midnight, stayed up and wrapped them gifts, put them under the tree at 3 in the morning. not much was there, but it was ok. my boys woke up on christmas morning and ran to my room yelling that there really is a santa claus becuase there are gifts under the tree. they were so happy. the baby had a few things, they had a few things. watching them be so happy was the best thing i ever saw. what the real thing was though, they handled the fact of not being able to get anything like mature kids and reminded me what christmas really was when i had to tell them we could not get them anything. to this day, even though it was stuff i could not get that they asked for, it is that day that my kids still talk about and remember.
    wow. every time i talk about this, i cry. it is such a special time for us.
    anyone else have any stories.:)

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Unfortunately (or fortuanately) I don't have any story that tops that.

I would think, though, at some point your kids will understand better that Christmas is not about the presents that they recieved, but the one that they gave. Specifically, the sacrifices your family made to provide shelter for a father, mother, and newborn child.

That does sound like a familiar story I have heard though.

When the kids are old enough to realize, what they did, what you did, will mean more to them than any presents that by then will be long gone and forgotten.

Thanks for sharing.

Clarksville is near Ft. Campbell KY. Any connection?

3. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    i cant beat morning doves.. but i have one kinda cool i think. =D
    well Around october I was really depressed with life because i just got out of a relationship and I figured out this person was just using me and pretty much sleeping with every guy behind my back(and not with me thank God i remained pretty pure.. we never even kissed.)
    well I was disapointed and i started getting back into an old habbit.. drugs.. So around December I tried to end it all ..well december 8th. It didn't work (thank God again)
    I had this friend sorta on the internet named ashley. She was really nice and everything ya know she lived about 350 miles away.
    Well around the christmas holidays i got to know ashley a whole lot better. We became pretty good friends and well I saw a picture of her on christmas Eve. SHE WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IVE EVER SEEEN! Beautiful firey red hair and these beautiful brown eyes. So on Christmas Day at 10:00 at night I asked her to be my girlfriend. Shes the best christmas present ive ever recieved and I still love her more and more everyday. So today we celebrate 11 months; And out of the almost 18 years of myt life, This past 11 months have been the very best. So she really saved my life. Because I was still doing drugs well.. inhaling "things" not party drugs or crack or anything at the time. Well I told her one night and well i stopped for her. Shes the best thing thats ever happened to me. Shes my first kiss as well. I know some people are gonna think im a p*ssy or something or a wimp but oh well. This is what happened to me and im proud and very thankful to be able to say that ashley holloway(another tb'er) is my girlfriend(and fiance) *grin*

EDIT: she lives up here now.. 6 months ago she moved from Ocean springs, MS to Memphis.. about 30 minutes away *hurrahh!*

4. These posts always put a smile on my face.

Nice nice stories.

I can't really think of any christmas stories myself, but they're always nice to read.

PS: Way to go Nick. :)

5. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Hey Morningdove, have I told you lately how much I love you? Thank you for everything you have done for me and the Bibs. I so remember that year as well, and if I hadn't have swerved the car, we don't think you would be w/us today. I thank God every day that you are my Older sister as well as my mother...Again, I love you so very much sister dear:D And thank you for reminding me, yet again, what Christmas is all about!

6. nick, i am so glad you are still here and you have found someone so special. and we here had a chance to know you.
    and if superfreak did not swerve, she is right, i would not be here today as that truck hit the passenger side and that is where i was sitting that day because i was not feeling well. thank god god was with us.
    i love you to sis. always and forever.
    :D

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Was gonna PM or email ya - but you don't seem to like them!

Anyway, your story moved me - to tears actually (scary, 'cos I'm at work, and 6 ft, 210lbs, goattee beard, shaven head, several tattoos all disguised in a shirt and tie as the company's quality manager is probably scary! thankfully my colleagues who share the dookit are on business!).

It was a good reminder of what Christmas is all about. This will be my first Christmas since I split with my wife. This means on Christmas morning, I will wake up in a different house to my son! He'll be 4 by then, his birthday is on Dec 20th.

I have no idea how this one is gonna work out! My estranged and I are barely on speaking terms just now (peaks and troughs to be honest - usually sparked by the insignificant trivia of splitting up, rather than because of anything meaningful!), so I don't know when I'm gonna see him.

I'm sure that everything will work out OK, it's just that your story kicked off some well hidden emotions. It was a real nice story and it made me realise that everyone has their cross to bear at this time of year - time I dropped my self pity!

To you and superfreak - I hope every Xmas is better than the ones before, however you choose to measure 'better'!

Nick - glad you're still hangin' in with us, you're a lucky guy to have Ashley, and I bet she's a lucky gal!

I'll quit babbling and go do some work now!

8. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    You know, I think EVERY guy always says this, and so many of them do it, but when you find that special girl, you always act like that. It's nature (and the pure evilness of women to contol our minds :eek: )

If you make her happy, then chances are, she'll make y ou happy, and if she makes you happy, you don't have to care what anybody else thinks :)

9. johnny keep your faith. somehow someway someday things will be better and you will see your son. keep smiling. if you do not get to see him this time still buy him something, to make you feel better adn when you see him, give it to him. he knows you love him and that is what is important. love. :)

10. Garsh everybody... that really warms my heart. Happy Holidays to everyone. I know it's early, but I just wanted to wish everyone that ahead of time.

:D

11. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Dude where have you been? It is not to early to wish everybody "Happy Holidays"...THE HOLIDAYS ARE HERE, THE HOLIDAYS ARE HERE, THE HOLIDAYS ARE HERE, THE HOL....sorry, I couldn't help myself....hehe...

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I mean this sincerely - you say the nicest things.The only thing that matters to me right now is my sons happiness and my love for him. I know that we will have a good time during his birthday (or after) and during Christmas (or after). Thanks for reminding me of that!

:)

13. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Damn Johnny....My sister got you too?...I think she is starting a cult....No just kidding sis...Why do you think I live w/her and refuse to move too far away? She is always there to lend a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, which I have done a lot of recently. She knows what she is talking about. If you ever need advice...Morningdove is the one to go to...She has done it, seen it, been through it...and she has the Tee-shirt....I hope you have a happy holiday, and I wish you lived close by to eat the awsome dinner she makes every year!! And homemade pies to die for.

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Yep I guess she did! I guess I'm just one of these sensitive guys that ain't ashamed of crying.......

*tumbleweed rolls past*

I will have a happy holiday! I hope you guys ahve a good one too - you sure seem to have all the right ingredients!:)

15. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS MORNING DOVE, JOHNNY AND SUPERFREAK!! WEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

16. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Right back at ya babe...Hey, Do you guys realize that we are the only cool ones on TB...who actually admit that we have feelings and a sensitive side? ;) :D

17. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    .. im not a cool guy..hehe.. im a real nerd. I dont do my school work . i make decent grades but i do study music alot.. so hmm yea im a music nerd... i even look like one.. see..

1. button up plaid shirts.
    2. non baggy clothes
    3. i dont have my butt hanging out of my pants(i think that goes with number 2)
    4. thick black frame glasses
    5. not trendy
    6. my hair sticks up but not gelled..

you can say im not in the in crowd anywhere i go.. but o well.. i like it that way.
    :eek:

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Indeed - happy holidays to all you guys!

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Woohoo! somebody says I'm cool!;)

20. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

You actually sound a lot like I did when I was 17!

Except the shirts were T shirts, I am lucky enough not to wear glasses, and I was at Uni then not school!

I scraped my way to my first degree, was more interested in most things - other than my studies (I actually could remember stats from AD & D rulebooks better than I could my physics and maths!)

Yes, I was that fantasy role playing nerd/wargaming nerd - the things we did before Playstations!