Meaning of "dilemma"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Browsing around the boards, I have noticed the word "dilemma" being misused quite a lot, so I'd like to clear something up.
    Now when somebody has a problem, they might say they have a dilemma. It is true that a dilemma is a problem, but that is not its true definition. A situation is a dilemma if no solution totally solves the problem or with every outcome there is some down side. Example of a dilemma: your arm is wedged inbetween two rocks. There are two solutions; cutting your arm off and setting yourself free, or leaving your arm unharmed and starving to death. That is a dilemma because each solution has a down side. Not having enough money to buy something you want would just be an example of a problem, not a dilemma.
    Thank you for bearing with me through this little lesson in English.
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Is the constant misuse of the word "dilemma" a dilemma?? ;) :D

( or is it a predicament ? )
  3. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    You're only making this worse :bawl:
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That was a very ASININE post 'mo

I salute you ;) ;) ;)
  5. I wish I was here for the ASININE thang...I feel so left out.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Would a useless thread be a dilemma? Having wasted time wading through all the posts, only to find it unproductive to add anything to the thread.(?)
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Can a dilemma only have two possible solutions? Hence the "di", meaning "two". Would a situation where there are three solutions be called a "trilemma"? :p
  8. What's all this about the Dali-lemma anyway?