Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meaning of "dilemma"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Browsing around the boards, I have noticed the word "dilemma" being misused quite a lot, so I'd like to clear something up.
    Now when somebody has a problem, they might say they have a dilemma. It is true that a dilemma is a problem, but that is not its true definition. A situation is a dilemma if no solution totally solves the problem or with every outcome there is some down side. Example of a dilemma: your arm is wedged inbetween two rocks. There are two solutions; cutting your arm off and setting yourself free, or leaving your arm unharmed and starving to death. That is a dilemma because each solution has a down side. Not having enough money to buy something you want would just be an example of a problem, not a dilemma.
    Thank you for bearing with me through this little lesson in English.

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Is the constant misuse of the word "dilemma" a dilemma?? ;) :D

( or is it a predicament ? )

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    You're only making this worse :bawl:

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That was a very ASININE post 'mo

I salute you ;) ;) ;)

5. I wish I was here for the ASININE thang...I feel so left out.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Would a useless thread be a dilemma? Having wasted time wading through all the posts, only to find it unproductive to add anything to the thread.(?)

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Can a dilemma only have two possible solutions? Hence the "di", meaning "two". Would a situation where there are three solutions be called a "trilemma"? :p

8. What's all this about the Dali-lemma anyway?