Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meaning of "Economy"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Fellow brownnoters, help me out here. I'm seeing a lot of highend bass companies offering what they call "economy models". Some have retail prices of $2150, $2500, and I've even seen one 4 string with a price of $2930! :eek: When I think of economy priced basses, I'm thinking $1000-$1500. Am I that much out of touch? :confused:

2. This depends on one's point of view.

A Cadillac is a Cadillac, but, to those who drive a Rolls Royce it's, "a nice car," while, to those in a Geo, it's something they can only hope for. I know where you're coming from, Woodchuck, but, to me *economy* would absolutely end at $1,000.

Mike :)

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I s'pose. If your line normally runs into the 5k-8k range, then I guess $2930 would seen like a bargain. I do think, however, they should spare us all the "Now bassists of ALL budgets can afford to play a....." line. :rolleyes:

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    These days, I think economy = bolt-on.

Doesn't matter if it's a $3000 bolt-on. It's still cheaper than the neck thru.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Funny you think a $3000 "economy" bass doesn't sound right...I think $1000 is too high :D

6. they might mean "buy this and stimulate the economy"

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I tend to think in three classes. For what they sell for new:

under $500 is one being basses like mim jazzes, MTD kingstons, etc. (mainly imported basses)

$500-1250 (higher end production basses): Musicmen, MIA fenders, rics, cheaper laklands, etc.

above $1250 (handmade custom basses): Hanewinckel, FBB, Fodera, Alembic, Sadowsky, Mike Lull, etc.

I'd probably call the lowest class economic.