Meaning of "Economy"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Fellow brownnoters, help me out here. I'm seeing a lot of highend bass companies offering what they call "economy models". Some have retail prices of $2150, $2500, and I've even seen one 4 string with a price of $2930! :eek: When I think of economy priced basses, I'm thinking $1000-$1500. Am I that much out of touch? :confused:

2. This depends on one's point of view.

A Cadillac is a Cadillac, but, to those who drive a Rolls Royce it's, "a nice car," while, to those in a Geo, it's something they can only hope for. I know where you're coming from, Woodchuck, but, to me *economy* would absolutely end at $1,000.

Mike :)

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I s'pose. If your line normally runs into the 5k-8k range, then I guess $2930 would seen like a bargain. I do think, however, they should spare us all the "Now bassists of ALL budgets can afford to play a....." line. :rolleyes:

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    These days, I think economy = bolt-on.

Doesn't matter if it's a $3000 bolt-on. It's still cheaper than the neck thru.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Funny you think a $3000 "economy" bass doesn't sound right...I think $1000 is too high :D

6. they might mean "buy this and stimulate the economy"

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I tend to think in three classes. For what they sell for new:

under $500 is one being basses like mim jazzes, MTD kingstons, etc. (mainly imported basses)

$500-1250 (higher end production basses): Musicmen, MIA fenders, rics, cheaper laklands, etc.

above $1250 (handmade custom basses): Hanewinckel, FBB, Fodera, Alembic, Sadowsky, Mike Lull, etc.

I'd probably call the lowest class economic.