Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meaning of "fast neck"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suicas, Nov 30, 2004.

1. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    What does it actually mean when a bass/guitar is described as having fast neck?

I'd assume it meant speed of playing, which I would have thought would be more down to action or string/fret spacing...

2. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    I would guess that it's fret size, neck shape, and string spacing that contribute. A P bass for example, wouldn't have a fast neck, whereas maybe an Ibanez, with narrower spacing, and a thinner neck, might be defined as "faster." But I think it comes down to personal preference. My Warrior neck is fast...it's relatively thin, narrower spacing, and small fret wire, and you can do much faster lateral runs on it than a thick necked bass. But other people might find the narrow spacing actually messes them up.

3. To me, the two things that make a neck "fast" are its profile and finish. A neck that fits your hand well and has a satin finish will be "fast", even if the action isn't optimal.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There is no hard and fast definition. For some it's a slim neck profile, for others it's narrow spacing, for others it's low action, or any combination of those.

5. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Rickenbacker of course! Sheeeessshh!!!!! :p

6. Good point. Another thing that's sometimes overlooked is fretboard radius. Lots of folks (myself included) find a fairly flat fretboard to feel somewhat "faster" than one with more arc to it, even on a 4-string.

Mike

7. low action can also attribute to a neck being "fast"