Meaning of "fast neck"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suicas, Nov 30, 2004.

1. suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    What does it actually mean when a bass/guitar is described as having fast neck?

I'd assume it meant speed of playing, which I would have thought would be more down to action or string/fret spacing...
  2. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    I would guess that it's fret size, neck shape, and string spacing that contribute. A P bass for example, wouldn't have a fast neck, whereas maybe an Ibanez, with narrower spacing, and a thinner neck, might be defined as "faster." But I think it comes down to personal preference. My Warrior neck is's relatively thin, narrower spacing, and small fret wire, and you can do much faster lateral runs on it than a thick necked bass. But other people might find the narrow spacing actually messes them up.
  3. To me, the two things that make a neck "fast" are its profile and finish. A neck that fits your hand well and has a satin finish will be "fast", even if the action isn't optimal.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There is no hard and fast definition. For some it's a slim neck profile, for others it's narrow spacing, for others it's low action, or any combination of those.
  5. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Rickenbacker of course! Sheeeessshh!!!!! :p
  6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Good point. Another thing that's sometimes overlooked is fretboard radius. Lots of folks (myself included) find a fairly flat fretboard to feel somewhat "faster" than one with more arc to it, even on a 4-string.

7. low action can also attribute to a neck being "fast"