Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Measurement question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bardolph, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    - 35" scale bass
    - 5 string 2 3/4" string spacing
    - 1 3/4" nut width
    - double octave fretless neck

how wide should the fingerboard be at the end?

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    My 5's are 3" at the 24th fret. That works well with .75" spacing at the bridge.

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    .75" spacing on 5 strings makes 3" string spacing. Mine will be 2 3/4"

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Assuming that by 2 3/4", you mean at the bridge, and you are asking what your width should be at the 24th marker, on my basses the 24th is generally around 1/8" wider than the bridge spacing. This is in order to leave 1/8" of play on either side of the fingerboard beyond the strings. Still, to be sure you might want to work out the geometry on a piece of paper.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    hey Matt,
    on your neck thru's do you use a straight neck blank or do you let the triangle run out to the end of the body ?

I am thinking of letting it run out on mine, so the neck gets progressively wider as it goes thru the body.

any thoughts on this ?

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Most of the time my necks are square through the body section. I generally only taper the body section when I am asked to.

I build most of my necks just a bit wider than wide enough. I try to be as efficient with the wood as possible. If you want to taper yours, you'll need to either taper one (or more) of the laminates before glue up (this makes lots of things more difficult later on), or you'll need to glue up a blank that is a good amount wider than your finished string spacing, and taper it just before you glue the wings on.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    maybe next time... this neck will be square.;)

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Most luthiers use a straight neck blank. I believe Ken Smith does a taper, though.

9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I've only built one NT bass and used a taper just because I thought it was more logical to extend the neck taper all the way down...

I was surfing today on various sites listed in the BunnyBass luthiers directory and saw a picture of a bass with what I would call a "reverse NT taper" :D

The body part of the NT was reducing from the neck to body joint towards the bridge!!!

First time I see that kind of construction.

Peace,JP