1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Measurements for Particular Basses?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by baddarryl, Jan 2, 2018.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Hi all. I watched the 4 videos and have an idea of what to do. I have a Peavey Foundation V and it is starting to buzz a little bit. I suppose a new set of strings and setup is in order. I like to get a nice low action with no buzz. Are the measurements put forth in the videos a starting place or standard for all basses? Because I have a B string I wonder what that should be and each one up from it.

Also can anyone tell me when you should be concerned with neck tilt? Thank you.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Measurements will be only a starting point. But yes. You can use them. The B string will still only be higher than the E. you can set it about the same as the E and just raise it till you’re not getting buzz From there you’ll run into issues depending on how well dressed your frets are, any neck defects etc. Don’t get caught up on numbers being set in stone.

And don’t forget nut height which is very important, often overlooked and easily screwed up if you don’t have the know how.

But measurements are only there to get them into spec for the sales floor: playable enough to the average shopper to attract sales. Only you will know what is the right setup for you as you develop.

For example I don’t measure and every one of my basses is setup to play differently. It’s all by feel. They’re close, but I have flats on two and action is very low because of the high tension compared to rounds. Some have near perfect frets that allow me to go with very little relief. Etc.

Neck tilt is only if your saddles are so low and you're still not able to get your action down OR your saddles buzz because there isn’t enough downforce because they’re too low: the angle from the saddle Back to the anchor point is not steep enough.

lz4005 likes this.
  3. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Thank you.