1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Measuring Current Draw

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gnasher1993, Apr 17, 2010.

1. How do I measure the current draw of a pedal?

I know I need a multimeter but that's where my knowledge ends :(.

Thanks in advance :)

2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
  3. That's great, thanks. I'll try it.

It'd be great to have some sort of database for the Effects Wiki showing the current draw of various pedals.

4. You need your meter to be in series with the pedal. Connect only the positive terminal on the battery plug to the positive terminal of a battery. Put the red meter lead on the negative terminal of the battery clip and the black meter lead on the negative terminal of the battery. Turn the effect on and measure the current. The effect will seem like it is off until you complete the circuit with the meter. It should be that simple.

You could also just look for the manufacturers specs for the pedal on the net, in the owners manual or possibly on the pedal itself.

EDIT: Just clicked the link that was posted earlier. It is the same idea, just using the opposite terminals to the way I suggested. Either option will work. You also need to make sure that your meter is on the appropriate setting. The 200mA setting should be right for a pedal.

5. Not as easy at it sounds... alot of manufacturers miss that info out I've found :meh:

6. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
  7. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    www.bossarea.com has most (if not all) of the current draw figures for pretty much everything Boss have ever done.

8. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I wonder why the Boss TU-2 doesn't fully power when it turns on... for daisy chaining perhaps?

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm not sure what you mean?

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY