Measuring output of a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by complexprocess, Apr 6, 2005.

1. I'd like to use my Johnson J-station as a preamp temporarily (while I'm upgrading my rig) and I need to set the different patches I'll be using to output at regular preamp levels to properly drive a power amp. Any ideas? I was thinking a voltmeter on one of the output lines would work. Any tips on trying that? What level should I be looking for?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I don't know if you'd need to feed a sine wave into the J Station while measuring the output voltage. Just hitting an open E might not really give you what you're looking for.

In reality, what you're trying to do is get a hot enough signal out of the J-Station to drive the power amp to full output without causing clipping. I'd think that you could do that by trial and error (assuming that your family, neighbors, etc. won't have you publically executed) while watching the clipping lights on your power amp.
  3. I suppose that could work, though currently I'm just slaving a regular head (going into the effect return) and the clip light only works for the regular input. I'll be replacing the head with an actual poweramp soon, so maybe I'll just wait until then to figure it out.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    it should work, on the downside it might be too quiet to produce full volume from the amp, but try it! carefully

just make sure you use an output that has a level control so you don't blow out your cab with full volume signal. like a headphone out. of course you'll get just one side of the stereo signal.