1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Measuring tools...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by #include <MK>, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Man, measuring tools can be a real pain in the... None of my rules agree. If I could use just the one for every job it would be good. How many standards are the for metric or imperial... At least 8 at my place... For any engineers out there, how do you deal with it and what tools do you use?

2. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Starrett makes accurate, though expensive, measuring tools.

http://www.starrett.com/

My recommendation, though, is to rely on measurement as little as possible, and instead use the actual piece or templates to measure with. I use jigs and techniques more than rulers. But when you need to meaure, use a quality tool and use only the one. A high quality yardstick and a fractional caliper will serve you well.

3. Yeah, I have a good dial caliper, a starret combination square and a bunch of other inaccurate rules of varying lengths. I need another accurate rule though, thanks for the link.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    IME, a combo square is about the worst tool ever invented. It never gives a true angle.
    RE. rulers, they are all made by individual companies with their own calibration tool. However, again IME, the differences between steel rulers are very smal, less than .10 mm (which is very little).

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    A metal 6" mechanics rule is always in my back pocket when I am building. I also use the metric side far more than the other. One of my favorite cheap tools.