1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Meatbox Signal chain placement

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cjmodulus, Aug 2, 2019.

1. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    Hi all, so I recently nailed down my array of pedals for the foreseeable future and I just have one last question re: placement before I’m all set with it.
    Current signal chain is:
    Tuner - OC2 - tender Octaver - envelope - compressor - flanger - pork loin - swollen pickle- Meatbox - Tone Hammer

797A2746-5D6A-4A05-89E2-C9858CFA2170.jpeg
    So according to DOD’s own manual, having the box first in the chain seems to be preferable for bass players, and a lot of the boards I’ve seen on instagram, here, other forums, etc. this seems to be the way a lot of people run it.
    However, being a pretty big fan of Pedals and Effects I came across an article where Juan Alderete runs through how he likes to build his signal chain:
    Juan Alderete's Signal Chain Suggestions | BassPlayer.com

And it’s his use of the MB/sound that I really really dig. I’ve had it at the end of my signal for a little while and it’s worked out in that it adds a nice layer of beef but sometimes at the expense of the dry effects coming through (even with the octave/blend knob dialed back a bit).
    I did pick up a TRS cable to experiment with; so I’m thinking that the next layout I’ll try will incorporate that somehow- I’m thinking of running it like:
    Tuner - Meatbox 1 -(dry)- rest of the chain then running the sub to something else. I know in most live settings w PA support I’d be able to send the sub direct to the FOH, but I’m not sure how to beat make use of it in situations where that’s not available.
    If I could find the room on the board I’d consider sending it to a second DI or maybe to a looper or line selector or something. I guess my big question here is, for those of you that do run the Meatbox out front: do you find that having distortion, flange, envelope, fuzz, etc. afterwards negatively impacts the sub when you send it all through as one signal? Thanks a lot in advance everyone!

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021