1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Meatbox Tracking Q, Active v. Passive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tommy.genes, Jun 18, 2017.

1. tommy.genes

tommy.genes

Feb 16, 2006
    Yo! Philly
    So I'm trying out my no-longer-new-but-still-not-that-often-used DOD Meatbox reissue and noticed something. I had originally tested it with a bass that has an 18V EMG pickup and preamp system and it worked fine and still works fine (normal and usually-endearing glitchiness of the pedal notwithstanding).

I'm now trying it with another bass (actually my preferred bass in a number of ways) that had been out of commission for a while and the Meatbox doesn't really track well at all, bouncing between octaves almost immediately after the initial attack. The only difference I can think of is that this bass has a 9V active Basslines pickup but otherwise passive volume and tone controls. Both basses have recently gotten new strings and batteries.

This just struck me as odd because you often hear about vintage/reissue analog pedals playing well with passive basses and not with active basses, but the opposite seems to be true in this case. I could always put some sort of buffer/boost/comp ahead of the Meatbox when using the passive bass but I wondered if anyone could see something else I'm missing here.

As an aside, I've pulled out the Meatbox again to try it in front of my new SA Aftershock. With the glitchy nature of the Meatbox, the umpteen thousand parameters of the Aftershock with Neruo app and the natural reactivity of a tube amp (Ashdown CTM-15 in my practice rig), I may have finally exceeded the maximum number of variables that I can wrap my head around at one time.

-- T. G. --

2. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Mine plays better with certain basses. I'm thinking it could also be the tone of the bass lends itself to better tracking with the pedal. I'm not 100 percent sure but I'm thinking mine doesn't like my stingray maybe cause it's a little to zingy.

3. Did you try the "rolling the tone control down and playing near the neck" for better tracking trick?

4. +1 your tone is a big factor when it comes to tracking on any analog octave pedal. If that doesn't help, try putting a compressor in front of the Meatbox.

5. tommy.genes

tommy.genes

Feb 16, 2006
    Yo! Philly
    Sorry, stepped away for a few days. I will try the suggestions.

Thanks,
    -- T. G. --