1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MEC J/J pickups and Preamp on a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Atomisk, May 12, 2010.

1. Hey everyone this is my first thread here and my first question is up for grabs. I have a Schecter stiletto studio 5 and im wanting more of a growl/trebly sound that i seem to hear very much of out of a warwick thumb. What is your opinion on switching my EMG-HZ pickups and active preamp for MEC j/j pickups and preamp? Would it help in my quest for a Metallic Growl that still pacts a punch?

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I own a Schecter 2008 Elite-5 and recently pulled the EMG-HZ p/u's out of it, replacing them with a new pair of EMG 40P5's. I also removed the EMG BTC preamp and replaced it with an Aguilar OBP-2 TK.

Sound wise, it's a huge improvement. I'm not recommending this too you, because I don't know exactly what kind of tone you're really looking for, but I can tell you that i'm very happy with the changes. BTW, I use this as a backup bass only.

Although these are major changes to the bass, both were drop-in installations and haven't changed the look of the instrument in anyway.

TD

3. what kind of examples could you give me for the kind of tone you got doing that? if i may ask

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto

Sorry, I can't provide any samples of it. I just don't have the ability with my computer.

TD