MEC Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HumanTower, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Hi, can you give me the Homepage of MEC and some facts.I don´t know whether they are good or not so good. how much better is Bartoline(I know they are the best)? :confused:
    I have active MEC TwinJ for Warwick proM4.
  2. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    you like your tone when you play amplified?

if yes then they are good.

if you answered no then I think you'd have to start looking for a twin J replacement pup (Delano of Germany makes one).

btw, MEC doesn't have a webpage, they are a "daughter" company to warwick.
  3. I also have a Warwick Pro M with the MEC active twin jazz pick-ups. The pick-up is matched to the dual preamp electronics. The Twin Jazz Pick-ups are Warwick's most expensive. BP Magazine rated the Streamer Pro M tone it's highest mark: a 5. The only time I've seen Scott Malandrone give a top mark in "sound" for a bass ever.

>"Funk approved tone,"

>"Features a dual-coil design with a built-in dummy coil in the center to filter out hum when a single coil is selected." (e.g., actually 3 coils).

>"Surprisingly, there are a lot of tones available when blending beween the two coils with the EQ set flat..."

>"In a nutshell, the ProM has a firm voice with compressed bottom, powerful mids, and a stinging top, tone that's tailored to be hearded in funk or heavy-rock gigs. It also offers way more versatility than your average single-pick-up axe."

I really don't see why you'd want to change anything. Since the Pro M is no longer made and only had a short run of only about 4 years (2 years with wenge neck, 2 years without)... it's possible that it may actually gain value over time because it is so unique.
    I really don't mess with higher end basses and ruin their value, especially a collector's candiate.
    However, do what you will for whatever reason.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I totally agree Donne...
    I have that Bass Player and was one of the things that made me decide for the Streamer LX.
    I know the PRO M is different, but how different can it be? They have the same woods, body shape, type of electronics, etc.
    The only change is in pickup placement and a second preamp.
  5. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    the Streamer LX has flame maple grade A while the Pro-M has double A but that has absolutley nothing to do with sound.

hey, Donne, have you an mp3 of you playing that bass with your band? I'm very curious to hear the Pro-M.
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I know, but both are Acer!(Maple)
    The Streamer PRO M actually has a variety of Sycamore Maple that has a very nice texturing.
  7. thank you for all these answers.
    i really don´t think that i want to change anything but i want to know the differences and how other players think.

can someone of you send me this page of the BP Magazine?(e-mail)

i haven´t that one with the warwick proM because at this time i haven´t played a warwick and couldn´t imagine that i ever do that.

thank you.

info: i have this one with then wenge neck is it the newer or older one?
  8. mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    If yours has the wenge neck, it is the older one. I think the ProM also had the brass nut for the first year ('97), then Warwick changed all their nuts to plastic.

The last two digits of the year of manufacture for Warwicks is the first two digits of the serial number.

I happen to like the meaty tone of the twin J MEC on my Fortress Masterman. If you decide to change the pickup, your choices are pretty limited. Although the size is close to a MM pickup, the routing is different due to screw placement. I talked to Lane Poor (before he disappeared) about making a twin J. It would have been two J pickups, with two screw tabs removed from each, glued to a spacer.

Email or PM me if no one send you a copy of that article. I bought that one because I already had the MasterMan. If the ProM would have been out in '96, I would have bought it instead.

9. Guess mine's a '97.
    You are correct about the brass nut being changed to the plastic (?).
    Why did Warwick do that???

Isn't there supposed to be a third 'hum cancelling' dummy coil?

I've never popped the cover, but that's what the spec.'s allude to.
  10. mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I believe Warwick calls the plastic "Wilferite", but it appears to be a graphite/plastic composite. I have to imagine that the primary reason for the change is cost.

The brass has to cost more than "Wilferite". Forming and finishing costs would have to be higher. Initial setup cost would have to be higher (since the individual string height must be set). Dana B. Goods claims that the Wilferite has a better tone and more even response between fretted and open notes.

I don't know how or where the dummy coil is in the twin J, but wiring is setup as two individual pickups. Lane Poors (and Bartolini's J and K structures) use a split-coil humbucking design to eliminate hum.

I have Bartolini single coils in my fretted Thumb, with the bridge ground removed and a TBIBT preamp, and the noise is negligible.
  11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    the wilferite nut allows for easier setup. You dont need to remove the strings with that design.
    On the brass model you had to remove the strings and then turn each slot screw to adjust.
    The newer one moves them with an allen wrench between the strings.
  12. Peak0db

Jan 22, 2004
    Brockton, MA
    here is the link to Mec Electronic I hope this helps :bag:
  13. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Why did you put the hiding smilie?!?
    Your link helps a lot,thank you !!! :hyper:
  14. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    The only thing I hate about MEC electronics is that they eat batteries. My Thumb BO 5 and Streamer LX5 go through batteries like crazy. My Thumb BO 6 has Seymour Duncan pickups and electronics and lasts a long time on a single 9V. The EMGs I had in my Corvette Standard were amazing... the 9V that was in it when I bought it lasted until I sold it about 8 months later, and I played it all the time!
  15. Possibly check the age of the thread...

No other comments from me.

Josh D