1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MEC Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AndrewM, Feb 11, 2013.

1. AndrewM

AndrewM

Feb 10, 2013
    I play a Warwick Corvette $$, and I absolutely love the tone it gives. It has 2 MEC humbucker pickups, for those who aren't familiar with this bass. I was just curious as to why more basses aren't seen with MEC pickups. They sound pretty incredible to me, so it seems odd that Warwick is the only brand I can think of that uses them :cool:

2. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I think there are some other European brands that use them, but they're wicked expensive here in North America. I know what you mean about them sounding great though, I've got a German Streamer $$ myself. Same electronics as your 'vette, and they sound excellent.

3. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I put some passive MEC pups in a jazz bass I have.

There's a lot of tone in those pickups. I found them to be better suited in a rock/hifi setting as opposed to a bluesy vintage band.

I got a screaming deal on them so I can't complain about price, lol

4. AndrewM

AndrewM

Feb 10, 2013
    I would agree with that. Very punchy, bright tone. Not so great for smooth mellow jazz, IMO. Wonderful for slapping though :D

5. truecanadian04

truecanadian04

May 4, 2011
    Canada
    I also play a Warwick Corvette $$ and I love the MEC pickups. They are very punchy. The perfect bass!