1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MEC preamp question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spego, Jan 19, 2012.

1. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    I recently got a 5 string Warwick Corvette Standard.....it had active MECs but I replaced them with an active EMG set. My dilemma came with the stock MEC preamp....replace it with the passive tone control that EMG supplied or just wire the pickups into the MEC preamp. It seemed like a no brainer to keep the preamp to me....but I read how the EMGs get muddy when the pots they are wired into are not like the 25K pots given with the set. This 5 string sounds much like my other Warwick with the same EMG set......but only with a bit of a treble boost on the MEC preamp. When I pull the vol knob out to passive they sound a little muddy to me.

Anyone know if the MEC preamp has 25K pots?

I'd think they would have to be somewhere around 25-50 being active MEC pickups were removed.....just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure. Thanks! :D

2. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'd try the MEC preamp first. The passive EMG tone pots don't really do a whole lot.