Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MEC rockbass and warwick?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tortoise.sg, Feb 26, 2005.

1. I was wondering, are the MEC pickups in RockBasses the same as those in the German Warwicks?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  3. I was told by the guy who sold me my Warwick that MECs are made with Seymour Duncan guts. Warwick is the European distributor for Seymour Duncan and when he visited the factory he saw the process.

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

I don't think so.
    Some switched p-ups from MECs to SDs and they reported a change in sound.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Seymour Duncans sound a lot better than MECs. I'd be disappointed if those were SDs with a different skin.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Was this at Norman Music? I was told the same thing a few years back.

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That still doesn't make it true.
    You both heard something from a guy - who could be wrong.
    These two brands of p-ups sound different.

8. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    The MECs sound far too bad to be Duncans.

9. I've had Warwicks with both MEC & SD pickups and I much prefer the SD's - less gritty, warmer, more dynamic. I've heard that SD had a hand in designing the MEC pickups, but that's just hearsay...

IMHO SD pickups & preamps really suit Warwicks darker tone - I have a Thumb with Barts (not for much longer) that's so warm you could fry eggs on it.

10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Did not say it was true, simply asked the man a question.

11. 'K gentlemen, let settle this peacefully. Stick a MEC in one ear, an SD in the other...

Frivolity over, I've spent the last week trading (newish) MEC, (brand new) SD & (15 year old) Bartolini pickups in my Thumb bass (straight to jack, no electronics, SWR Super Redhead). Results are empirical to say the least, but the MECS & SD's can sound very similar on occasion & kind of different on occasion. Its like the difference between CD & 192 kBs MP3's - better detail. better bass, less "grit" from the SD's. But the difference is subtle.

The Barts are - less "impressive" but ultimately more seductive - sweet, warm, sexy. These are the keepers. Barts & a U-Retro it is, I think.

I've been running this test too long, haven't I? :rolleyes: