Medeski Martin and Wood - Electric Tonic

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DigMe, May 23, 2003.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I just got this album. It's kind of a limited press thing that you can only order off of their website. I've been wanting to get it for a while but I finally did since they just dropped the price to 10 bucks.

This is a companion album to the all-acoustic "Tonic" album (which WAS mass released in stores). This one is mostly electric but Chris Wood plays some upright too. Overall this album is great and a must-have for MMW fans! I wouldn't recommend it as a first MMW album but I'm lovin' it. It's from a series of concerts that they played at the club in NY called "Tonic." Electric Tonic is more groove-oriented than Tonic and they don't go off into free-territory as much as they do on Tonic. Although they do some of that. One thing I enjoy when I see them in concert is how they will bust into a really tight groove but then develop and morph it into a free thing for a while but without losing the song. Then they'll often just suddenly come back into the groove. They have a good balance of that on this album. If you're looking for (an official) MMW live album then this is the one to get IMO. Of course there are a lot of good bootlegs out there too and MMW are taper friendly. This is great though..once again highly recommended for fans. I should have bought it a long time ago.

brad cook
  2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    What would you reccommend for a first album?
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my first MMW exposure was Scofield's 'A Go Go' and it really made me want to hear everything from them I could.

I bought 'Friday Afternoon in the Universe' & 'Notes From the Underground' first.
    I've got 6 total studio releases and 2 live boots, I'm still working on getting the rest.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That was mine as well and I really liked their contributions - but the albums I have heard since, haven't lived up to that IMO.

Somebody here recommended Shack Man and I hated it - last time I buy anything based on what I read in TB - wait I just ordered an Oscar Peterson CD based on what Pacman said - doh!! ;)

I've seen a few live concerts on TV and they were OK - but a bit boring - could have done with some horns or any other soloist for variety!!
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'd recommend either "It's a Jungle In Here" or "Combustication" for a first album. Jungle for those who are into more of the straightahead jazz aspect (or maybe even their first album, "Notes from the Underground," which isn't as strong in the playing but features horns, two Wayne Shorter covers and Ellington's 'Caravan') or "Combustication" for those who are more into the funky groove with some abstract thing. It's just important to know going in though that no MMW CD is straight jazz. Some have some jazz tunes and are more jazz oriented but all of them have a number of influences present. I think Jungle is a good balanced album though.

I would defintely NOT recommend Shack Man as a first album...I don't even listen to that very much and I'm a big fan. I think that was a poor recommendation.

Bruce, was it you that I recommended Mehldau's 'Largo' to last year? I think I might be confusing you with someone else. Whoever it was bought it and loved it. Not all TB recommendations turn out bad! I usually listen to sound clips from CDNOW or the band's webpage before I go buy a recommended one too...that's a quick way to weed out the no's.

brad cook
  6. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i was into the hammond b-3 jazz scene, musically, for about a decade and tried MMW from that direction--man, was i disappointed! didn't like 'em at all. Too "free", little groove, more into sounds than music. I do like Scofield's "A go go" w/ MMW. I remember seeing MMW on Sessions at west 54th tv series too.

Today i'm more into the jam-band scene which MMW is put into (not sure why). I recently bought Uninvisible, which i'm luke-warm about.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I did buy it - but can't remember why - I think I read quite a few reviews. I was only joking really - as I have bought lots of CDs based on things I have read around here and Shack Man was really the only bad one! ;)