Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Medeski, Martin and Wood- todays breakthrough

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dirtgroove, Jun 24, 2004.

1. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Just listened to Combustication for the first time. MY goodness me. These boys certanly have an ear for it.
    I don't think I've ever had such a good time changing my strings.

Unfortunately it's a copied CD which tell me little about them.A quick scan around the internet reveals that it's not the only cd they have- What else should I listen to?

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +1

That is a HELL of a CD!!!

I love MMW, however, Combustication is probably my least favorite of theirs.

Check out Shack-Man.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    http://www.mmw.net

I've got them all and a few live bootlegs... one of my all time fav bands!

Check out John Scofield's "A GoGo" it's what got me into MMW (they are the backing band)

:bassist:

(uninvisible is my fav too)

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I lost my copy of uninvisible (and last chance trance, the dropper, combustication and notes from the underground, AND friday afternoon in the universe!) :bawl:

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Great band! They get my ear weekly!

Chris Wood is a big inspiration for me.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

:bawl:

I'll listen to them all twice for you tonight!!!!

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You already mentioned one scofield track, also, Chris wood(bassist from MMW) plays on John Scofield's album 'bump'

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Those guys are great - I saw them on 4/20 at the Warfield a couple years ago and they played with the Sex Mob horns (sick, sick, sick). They're the only band that I'd say is somewhat similar to the Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey. Shack Man is my favorite still - and The Dropper should freak anybody out. That track on Uninvisible with Col. Bruce is hilarious...

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Checked out the website, and I dig em.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    A JFJO reference! One of my favorite bands as well!!

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Definitely "Uninvisible". I also dig "The Dropper", but it's more abstract and doesn't groove as hard.

I saw MMW last year; they opened for Moe. Very few of the Moe-rons were the slightest bit interested in MMW. Their loss... and our gain, because we didn't have to deal with funky-ass tie-dyed patchouli-smellin' hippies blocking our view. :ninja: :D

Anyway, despite a disappointing mix (I blame the headline band) it was a fantastic show. Chris Wood kicks on URB and electric.

I also love Sex Mob.

12. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I only have MMW's greatest hits disc, but I listen to it quite a bit. It's very cool stuff. (Love the song titles, too. :cool: )

13. My only beef with MMW is, and tell me if you think im wrong, they seem to take a long time to actually get going at the live show. They noodle aound for a few minutes and then the groove finally comes.

Sometimes it works great, other times it seems to drag... Ive just always felt this way at their live shows.

ANyone else?

14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    :scowl: :mad: You are SOOO wrong Cory Belcher! MMW rule live. They are grooving before they even pick up their instruments. I will see you burn for this, burn I say. Where is a moderator when you need one? Fear not, I will PM one directly and you can consider yourself banned! You have disrupted this forum for the last time :mad:

Oh, wait.... I've never seen MMW. Forget everything I just said :rollno:

15. anyone else smell three day old deuche in the air?

16. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Dude, what? :confused:

17. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    The only MMW cd i own is "the Dropper" which really doesn't give you a true sense of what MMW is about. Get "Last Chance to Dance Trance Perhaps" - it's the greatest hits cd, that should get you started.

I saw them live last year and they are really grooving live. And they get into it right away.

18. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have Shakman. It was interesting for a while.

John Scofield's A Go Go has Medeski on it I think. A couple of them are also on the Word project with Robert Randolph and the Mississippi All Stars. That's a pretty cool disc.

19. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I don't smell deuche but I suspect we'll all be smelling burning flesh when a moderator get's here and throws your ass in the frying pan. You just keep on Belcher :mad: