Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Medical privacy and employer-sponsored health insurance...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jan 25, 2006.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Quick question... Having never really taken Rx meds except for flu symptoms or the odd back spasm, I never thought much about it, but now I'm wondering... Will my insurance company disclose to my employer the meds that they covered? Last year I had some odd symptoms and a doc wrote me scripts for a variety of meds, none of which I stuck with, and some of which I'd rather my employer not know about. Any thoughts?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Donk, Y works for a home health care agency as an accountant... she's always complaining about HIPPA (sp?) statutes.... I'll ask her tonight...

Also, my mom is an RHU - she would know, but she'll go on and on and on and on and on....

:D

My guess is that it's not the employer's business at all to know about meds...

3. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I work for a health care facility and I belive that any disclosure of health related information to indivudals not directly involved in your treatment (without your consent) basically qualifies as a HIPPA violation.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Not unless they receive written authorization from you to do so.

-Mike

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Bingo....

Mike

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's HIPAA, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

7. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I stand guilty of being unable to type