Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Medical School Acceptance Resources

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ericman197, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I'm currently a senior in high school and I'm looking into colleges and medical schools. What I'm looking for is an unbiased resource that will help me decide what college to go to. I've been accepted with scholarship at Ramapo college, and I expect the same for Rutgers New Brunswick, Rutgers Newark and Montclair University.

All of these colleges have provided statistics that may have been twisted in their favor. Rutgers New Brunswick is very upfront about their acceptances and give statistics for a large GPA range. My cousin attended Rutgers New Brunswick, was accepted into Robertwood Johnson Medical School and is now finishing his fellowship in invasive cardiology, so I know that Rutgers New Brunswick is a safe bet. However, I have not been able to get such statistics from Rutgers Newark, nor do I know anyone who has been there. Ramapo college claims that they have a 100% acceptance rate, but like most other colleges, this is only after they've knocked off 70% of the original pre-med students. I also heard from a nurse that Montclair University has an excellent pre-med program, but I'm not so sure that I can trust her advice.

Does anyone on this forum have any advice or know of a resource that I can use to compare colleges? Price is no object, so if I have to pay $50 to buy a book or $500 to subscribe to this or that counseling service, then I'll do it. I need this to be from the point of view of a medical school admissions counselor; I know the SAT, high school rank and GPA statistics for all of these colleges, but that's irrelevant. What I need to know is if I'd be balked at for attending Ramapo, Rutgers Newark or Montclair.

For example, Montclair is the weakest in terms of academics, but it's literally a bike ride from my house. Rutgers Newark and Ramapo College both have better credentials, but are also about 40 minutes away ( Newark is only about a 25 minute commute, but parking is much more difficult than at Ramapo ). Rutgers New Brunswick is an hour of hard driving away, so I would not be able to live at home.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Won't your abilities after you finish school debunk any negative comments about the school you attend?

-Mike

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    The trouble is that I may not get into medical school if I make the wrong choice for college. College is only relevant for getting into medical school, although I would prefer for it to be closer to home, have music courses, etc. In reality, only the last thing you do matters. If I did a very specialized fellowship, it wouldn't even matter where I went to college, medical school or even where I did my internship and residency.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You could try the US News and World Report College Guide. They may have a section on pre-med and it's the most well-known college rating guide in the nation I believe.

I don't think think that were you go is AS important as what you're saying though. I mean you want to go somewhere with a decent rep but as long as you do really well in college, take part in extracurricular activities and whatnot then you should be ok. My wife is now a physician and she just finished med school only a few months ago. She went to University of Texas but her former classmates went to all kinds of colleges, some highly esteemed some not even close.

EDIT: Actually I believe US News and World Report also puts out a separate guide to medical schools that might also have info about premed in it.

brad cook

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Hmmm, I'll look into that. I know what you mean about colleges. My dad went to Queen's college in NYC which switched to an "anyone can get in" type policy a year after he started, which caused it to fall apart. However, while he was there, he got a great education and the teachers really cared about him and wrote him great letters of recommendation. His friend Joel went to Columbia, got nothing out of them, and had to do a dental school transfer just to get into medical school. Nevertheless, he still supported Columbia until the school newspaper started publishing anti-semitic articles and the college refused to stop it. That's one of the things I strongly dislike about some of the Ivy league universities; they're oftentimes very racist and anti-semitic behind the scenes.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Eric, my friend, you are going about this as you do everything I've known you to do: Backwards.

It's really not so much where you go, it's what you do while you are there. My friend graduated from a small local university and went on to Temple's med school. He is currently in residency at Hershey Medical and he is one of the most impressive physicians they have come across (I have a relative that works there). He is bound to do great things in life with the education he worked hard for. He didn't need Ivy league to make himself look better. He made his knowledge, compassion, excellent people skills/bedisde manner, hard work, and desire to help people speak for him.

The name in the middle of the diploma is much more important than the names at the top or bottom of the diploma.

Becoming a physician is a very noble and difficult task. Lives will depend on your abilities and knowledge. As I've said before, you really have to do it for the right reasons though, Eric. Don't be so caught up with the more minor details. The major ones are bad enough. ;)

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    You're right, but my problem is that Montclair is really not all that great as academics go. The way I see it, I'd have a much better chance at Ramapo/Rutgers Newark, and maybe even a better chance at Rutgers New Brunswick. I know that attending Princeton would really only hinder my chances of getting in, but I'm not sure how low I can go. The average SAT at Ramapo is around 1150 or so, whereas at Montclair it is roughly 1030. Rutgers New Brunswick is a little higher than at Ramapo and Rutgers Newark is a little lower, but those 3 are all within the same range. The problem as I see it is that a med school admissions counselor would've never heard of the Montclair pre-med program.

What I'm trying to do now is get in contact with some of the admissions counselors from UMDNJ, so hopefully they can give me some real answers.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey maybe THEY all post on a forum somewhere.
    :p

brad cook