1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Medieval" or "Pagan" bands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Jul 16, 2012.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey y'all, wondering if you could help me out. I'm a medieval historian by trade, and one of the things we're interested in is how the Middle Ages are perceived and interpreted by modern people (what we call "medievalism" - King Arthur movies and Renaissance Faires and that kind of stuff).

When I was living in Germany a few years ago, I saw a band called "Heidensturm" ("Pagan Storm" in English) perform at a kind of medieval festival. They were decked out in kilts and tattoos and playing an interesting mix of electric instruments, kettle drums and bagpipes. I figure that there must be more bands out there with this kind of medievalesque/neopagan theme, and tracing its emergence and patterns might make an interesting bit of cultural history.

Unfortunately, it's not the kind of thing I normally listen to and I'm not sure where to start. So I'm wondering if my TB brethren might be willing to suggest bands out there, in the US or Europe or wherever, who might reflect this kind of theme. Thanks!

2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Skyforger from Latvia are interesting for sure. As a 2nd gen from Latvia I was interested in learning about the culture some time ago and stumbled on them during that search.

Halfway through the song it takes a right turn :) Just fair warning.

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
  4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Only thing that comes to mind are the Druids. No one knows who they were, or what they were doing but their legacy remains..........

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Funky, you're a Litvak? :D

6. Tons of bands within the metal genre are all about the mysticism of ages past. Check out such music as Viking Metal, Folk Metal, and Celtic Metal.

One of the best bands in the genre is Amon Amarth. They sing about Odin and Valhalla and all that type of stuff. However, there are a ton of european bands that are proudly singing of the Myths and legends.

Lots of people into this stuff also get into Rainbow and most anything by Ritchie Blackmore. Also check Blackmore's Night for a more bard approach to this style of music. Ritchie straight jams on a lute.

7. TOG

TOG Banned

Jul 4, 2012
    Bagpipes are not a musical instrument, bagpipes are an instrument of WAR! (not that there is anything wrong with that)

8. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Yessir :D

9. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    What the hell were those shots they were feeding me? They taste like honey, and then things got real blurry.......

10. Probably Meade, it's wine made with Honey instead of grapes and one of the oldest alcoholic beverages in history.

Cassandra Syndrome has a lot of pagan influences in the lyrical content, singerbabe is a pretty high-ranking priestess or something like that. There is also a side-project of many of the band members: http://www.revelmoon.cassandrasyndrome.com/ .

In addition, our gig last month was a big Pagan festival so I'm gonna link to some of the performers that were there, may be something you're looking for.

https://www.facebook.com/maharalrva

https://www.facebook.com/thedreamscapesproject/app_204974879526524

Peace,
    Greg

11. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    No, it was some kind of Latvian thing. It was high test stuff!

12. LOL. Nerd.

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

All useful, guys, and please keep it coming. Anyone know if there are any publications out there yet they'd like to point me towards?

Ah ha, so there IS a genre name - thanks!

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Deep Purple. Lots of modern interpretations from the mediaevel era.

15. Theres tonnes of Pagan metal bands. There's a whole genre devoted to it. FOLK METAL (or VIKING METAL).

some bands worth noting:

Eluveitie

16. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Try to check out some of Espers stuff :

Fern Knight or even Feathers may as well have made some songs that fits this category.

17. There's also NEOFOLK, another genre.

Bands worth noting (can't find much on youtube):

:Of the wand and the moon:

18. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Gryphon from the UK many years ago. there's also a Phillip Pickett, the baroque guy, who did an album with Richard Thompson and rockers..

Or check out the group (classical) L'Appasionata, which will occasionally stray from the 1500's to Jazz improv.

19. In addition to these bands, who are cool, I'd also recommend checking out Primordial, In Extremo, and Arkona.