1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Meditation... The Path To Peace?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 7, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I used to meditate alot about 5 years ago, but then trailed off. I recently borrowed a Yogic Chanting cd from the library. Wow, I love it. Practicing gives me a unique sense of calm and tranquility. I think it stimulates the alpha brain waves or something. Its like a natural high in which you feel totally at peace. In that state of mind anger comes slowly and stress is unknown. I'd venture to say its the opposite of feeling stressed.

I think if everyone in this world meditated the world would be a much more peaceful place to live.

Any one else meditate?

Note: for me meditation has nothing to do with religion.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I don't do it, I guess I've never had the oppertunity.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I don't meditate. I surf.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Nothing gets me more in the zone than building something. Just now I tried putting a piece of wood on my guitar's horn to extend it to get rid of neck dive. Only spent half an hour on it (my wood broke. :(), but my mind was really peaceful and uncluttered then.

The essense of Zen.

5. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    i've never got into meditation enough to really see a lot of benefits. but it's nice at the time. i'd do it more if i didn't drink so much caffeine and eat so much sugar. pretty well impossible to do all hyped up.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I don't meditate, I play bass.

7. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I also like the lightheaded feeling that I get when I stand up really quick, and almost black out.

I have never meditated, but have heard some good thigns about it.

for now the naturally grown highs will do it for me :p

8. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I've heard alot about meditation, I've got some friends who do it, but I've never tried it.

My "zen zone" is programming something on the comp.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Most things can be a form of meditation IF your concentration is so absolute that you think of nothing else. The easiest meditation is to simply count to four repeatedly without thinking of anything else. Though its simple its not easy. Concentrating on your breathing is another simple one.

I once read of this venerable old man, who was very intelligent, who only took on simple employement occupations. He delighted in doing simple tasks as they enabled him to meditate while working. "sweep" "sweep" "sweep" "sweep" etc.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The whole purpose of meditation is to just "be".

One way to achieve a meditative state, is to focus on your breathing...inhale for five seconds, hold that for five seconds, exhale for five seconds, hold that for five seconds. Repeat, over and over and over until you are no longer thinking about your breathing.

With every single thing your senses pick up on, acknowledge your awareness of it, and then just let it go and don't give it another thought. Don't force any thought into or out of your awareness, just allow it to be, and it will go as quickly as it came. You'll be surprised at how much of your surroundings you've been taking for granted...smells, sounds, the pattern in your ceiling tiles, LOL.

Before you know it, you'll be able to meditate anywhere, anytime and no one will even know you are doing it.

The beauty of being in a meditative state is having total awareness of everything around you using all your senses, yet still being totally calm.

My fellow employees constantly are stressed out at work (computer/network) and sometimes the boss will even be wildly freaking out over some customer's problem, causing many arguments over a situation. I just meditate, and even if my boss is over the edge, I can calmly respond and correct the issue. I find that meditation keeps me centered and at peace, when normally I might be quick to anger or judgment, or fight back. I just don't do that any longer. I do find it interesting that my lack of anger is characterized by some as a lack of caring, or apathy. But the truth is...everything we seem to get upset about is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things, and getting upset doesn't help at all anyway. It's the old, "Don't sweat the small stuff"...and..."It's ALL small stuff."

A while back, my two year old swallowed a penny and was choking, but I do believe that because of meditation, I was calm even when the rest of my family was panicking. I didn't meditate on it, but I do believe that my daily practice of meditation allowed me to remain calm and get her the help she needed. She had gotten it lodged in her throat (straight up and down so she could still breathe, but it wouldn't budge...though we didn't know that until she was x-rayed). Even while my daughter was in the OR for it, I felt calm and at peace, rather than being consumed by worry or fear.

Traffic jams, tailgaters, and the general chaos of the commute into work is just no big deal. I don't get all caught up in the insanity of it anymore. I am aware of the traffic patterns and what those around me are doing, but they don't bother me in the least. In fact, I can see a certain rhythm and harmony to it all now. The cars weaving in and out, speeding up and slowing down. I am more prepared for what might happen, than I ever was when I used to get upset and participate in the silliness of it. I actually find the commute to be enjoyable. I'm not uptight, stressed, or worried about anything anymore.

Meditation is but one way to achieve a peaceful state, not only at a given moment, but with life in general. Some people think that being in a meditative state is like being hypnotized or sleep walking, etc. Actually it makes one more aware, more conscious, not less. It allows one to take a step back from the frenetic pace of the world, and see things much more clearly. It is also far more energizing when you do it in the morning, rather than using coffee to wake up. Doing it along with yoga in the morning just maximizes what it can do for you.

Of course, it isn't all meditation that did it for me. A few years back, I had a major life changing experience, though I meditated prior to that.

Meditation is a way to connect you to your greater, true self. And I agree, that if everyone meditated, the world would be a much more peaceful place, because your true self wants peace, not conflict.

11. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Do tell!

Or give me a link if you already have.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021