1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Meditation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iplaybassguitar, Aug 22, 2007.

1. I know the topic has been brought up before, i did a search before starting this thread, but i didnt really find anything too useful. im very interested in meditation, i was browsing youtube and found a how to video, and it was very nice, very peaceful, relaxing.

im just wondering if there is anyone in here that is knowledgeable or skilled at meditation that could offer any tips/advice to someone just starting.

thank you.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I don't know anything about it, but I think getting some sort of teacher would be a good idea. I don't think it's the kind of thing that can be learned over the internets.

Just be wary of the people who try to be spiritual and all-encompasing about it. There's no mystical BS involved.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Calming the psyche and body is central to insightful meditation. I would recommend getting out into nature , somewhere quite and listen to your own mind and body and see where that leads you.

4. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    I remember I listened to some meditation tapes my friend gave me, and It did nothing. What's it supposed to do? throw you into some sorta trance?

5. I'm currently reading a book called The Heart Of the Buddhas Teaching by Thich Naht Hanh. It's a great book that gives an overvew of Buddhism, and thus, it has a good chuck about meditation. What you really want to do is count your breaths and jsut be aware of everything that you, your body and your mind, are doing. But make especially sure to concentrate on your breathing.

6. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    that sounds really stressful...

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Meditation is definately not a trance. It's just a very relaxed state. Some people get the same benefit from praying at church or something like that. But there's nothing magical about it.

8. Not really. If you concentrate on your breathing, maybe say to yourself "in" every time you breathe in, and "out" every time you breathe out, your breaths will naturally become slower, longer, and deeper, which in turn makes you calm and more tranquil.

9. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Meditation= man card revoked.

10. Meditation's really just kind of like a time out from daily, stressful life. Meditation helps you calm yourself. The more calm you become, the easier it is for you to let go of your anxieties, even if it is just for the time that you're meditating. And just being free from stress for that small amount of time helps you be a happier person all the time, and more-so the more often you meditate.

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Brushing Teeth = Man Card Revoked?

12. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

you'd bettah believe it! ;)

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    My entire adult life, I've reserved some relaxing, thinking time every day. Sometimes it's 15 or 20 minutes, sometimes more than an hour, depending on my mood and where my thoughts take me. I always make sure that I won't have unreasonable interuptions, and I don't have anything distracting me like music or TV or radio on. I don't follow any formalities or rules, I don't consciously breathe or relax and I don't really think of it as 'meditation'. It's just 'thinking time' and I consider it a necessary part of my life and essential to my continued mental well being and emotional health.

Like the commercial says: 'Just do it.'

P.S. I'm convinced that younger people these days (old geezer rant) have such short attention spans and suffer from all these emotional 'disorders' because they're incapable of being alone with their thoughts for more than a few seconds at a time without having to fill up the void with TV, internet, MP3's, and other background noises. Having intense, yet unimportant, sounds and images blasting into their skulls all day is like a sensory drug and too many are addicted to it.

14. +1 on Thich Nhat Hanh

He's done a great job of showing how to incorporate mindfulness into modern everyday living, with tips and tricks that are not unlike what you might be taught in biofeedback.

Meditation can be hard to fit into a busy life, but it pays off big time -- clearer thinking, lower blood pressure, reduced cortisol (stress hormone) levels, etc. There are some amazing studies going on now using functional MRI scans to document positive brain changes from meditation.

15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Coming from a 24-year-old, you couldn't be more right! I've been thinking about that exact thing for the past few days, and have been making more of an effort to get away for a few minutes, just as several have described here.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Amen , I tottaly agree ! " The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates.

17. Yes, breathing is important when starting a relaxation exercise/meditation.

Be comfortable first, then focus on breathing in through your nose for a count of 5 in your head, holding it for a count of 2, then breathing out through your mouth for a count of 7.

This makes your breathing slower and deeper, but don't do this more than about 7 times in a row or you could get dizzy.

I like to visualize breathing in "white light" and breathing out "dark", and focus on the dark going out getting lighter until it's white too.

Next, breathe normally and mentally picture your muscles relaxing up from your toes and feet, ankles and legs, through your torso and back, arms and hands, neck, face and head. Take your time, making sure every tiny muscle has been focused on and relaxed.

This should take you into a calm meditative state, from where you can now focus on the mental side of your meditation.

What you do here can be quite a personal thing, a good start would be to visualize and focus on a colour such as yellow, imagine being surrounded by and breathing in that colour, feeling it too. For instance, for yellow, feel the heat of the sunshine pentrating you and filling you up internally. Focus on it, breathe it, feel it.
    Take it further and go through the colours of the spectrum, one at a time.

This is just a start, take the meditation to different landscapes in your mind, take in everything that's happening around you, and how your surroundings feel.

There is so much you can do, but more specific meditations are better to get from a teacher or book to be honest.

18. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    You might find some of the stuff in pianist Kenny Werner's book Effortless Mastery interesting.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Every time I try to meditate I fall asleep!

20. I forgot to mention that. Meditating is a great way to help yourself fall asleep. But if you begin falling asleep when you don't want to, try counting your breaths. When you breathe in, say 'one', then when you breathe out say one. then two/two, three/three, etc. all the way up to ten. Then begin counting backwards, ten/ten, nine/nine, etc. It's difficult to do, so don't get down on yourself if you can't. Just start over again, if you like. It keeps you awake and tests your focus.