1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Medium Blue Steels on GSR200 for B Tuning?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rreed, Mar 18, 2009.

1. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    I've got a cheapy Ibanez GSR200 that has a bad stock E string--inside of a few weeks!!--so I'll need some new ones. I'm a fan of Dean Markley Blue Steels on other guitars and their rep so I'll probably pick up a set.

Does anyone know if a set of mediums or medium-lights will tune down to B on my bass? I play metal, rather aggresively, and prefer a bright tone w/ of course some good low end. I'm presuming the mediums would tune and/or setup better (which by the way yes I know I'll have to setup the bass all over again) but med-lights would probably have a brighter/more defined high end.

Thoughts/experience please?

2. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    Too light. A 5 or 6 string set comes with a 125, 130, or 135 for the b string for a reason. A 100, 105, or 110 is gonna flop around too much and sound like mud.

3. +1

Beats my why a person would want to use a highly inappropriate set of strings for their tuning. Use a B string for your B and you'll be much happier.