Medium combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by istaticl, Jun 12, 2001.

1. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I'm in the market for a new amp. I want either an Ampeg or GK and I was wondering what the best combo would be for playing small garage shows and birthdays. I need enough power to get over the drums and guitar. But my budget is pretty limited so it would also need to be a reasonable price.

2. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    i know its not one of the brands you listed but you should check out the Hughes and Kettner bass force xl its what i use in my band and it holds up fine against the two half stacks the pa and drums i think it was around $650 its got a 15" speaker with a tweeter and its 200w its a really great amp you should definatly check one out if you can find it

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    The Ampeg B-100R should handle what you're looking for. It's rated at 100 watts, but sounds bigger, and has a very nice tone. Looks cool, too. They sell new for less than $500 and can be purchased used for around $300.

4. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ

5. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    the kettner bassforce xl is what i got are you sure its not the l (xl 200w l 100w) i dont know what to compare it to but this amp is punchy as hell it holds up really nice against a entire band and its got a cool eq dial on it so you can set the amp to the style you like and the tweeter makes the high end really punchy. i cant explain it just try one out i fell in love with it the first time i pluged into one im hopeing to get a matching 4 10 cab cuz with one of those hooked up that amp is really bad ass

6. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Jump on the Hughes & Kettner XL. I have had one for a year and love it. It is relatively warm for a solid state amp and will have plenty of power for what you need (200 watts). It will handle a moderate extension speaker (2x10) with ease and will get great tone. It is a 15" though so the tone will be a little limited to what a 15" can drive (massive low end and low mids) and the horn helps alot for the high end. It lacks a little in high mids though because of the 15" speaker. In all, it is a great amp and will fill your needs easily. $400 is about right for a used one in good condition. Try to get it for $350 and you will be set! Do try first though and let your ears be the final judge.

7. Ampeg B2, specifically, a used B2-48 (4 8s plus tweeter). This combo pretty well erases any need for a head/cab set up. It's heavy, but the sound is HUGE, full deep and low, while still having nice mids because of the 8s, and it's a great deal at about $450 used. It's 200 watts as a combo, but puts out 350 w/an extension cab.

Mark