Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Medium combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by istaticl, Jun 12, 2001.

1. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I'm in the market for a new amp. I want either an Ampeg or GK and I was wondering what the best combo would be for playing small garage shows and birthdays. I need enough power to get over the drums and guitar. But my budget is pretty limited so it would also need to be a reasonable price.

2. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    i know its not one of the brands you listed but you should check out the Hughes and Kettner bass force xl its what i use in my band and it holds up fine against the two half stacks the pa and drums i think it was around $650 its got a 15" speaker with a tweeter and its 200w its a really great amp you should definatly check one out if you can find it

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    The Ampeg B-100R should handle what you're looking for. It's rated at 100 watts, but sounds bigger, and has a very nice tone. Looks cool, too. They sell new for less than $500 and can be purchased used for around $300.

4. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ

5. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    the kettner bassforce xl is what i got are you sure its not the l (xl 200w l 100w) i dont know what to compare it to but this amp is punchy as hell it holds up really nice against a entire band and its got a cool eq dial on it so you can set the amp to the style you like and the tweeter makes the high end really punchy. i cant explain it just try one out i fell in love with it the first time i pluged into one im hopeing to get a matching 4 10 cab cuz with one of those hooked up that amp is really bad ass

6. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Jump on the Hughes & Kettner XL. I have had one for a year and love it. It is relatively warm for a solid state amp and will have plenty of power for what you need (200 watts). It will handle a moderate extension speaker (2x10) with ease and will get great tone. It is a 15" though so the tone will be a little limited to what a 15" can drive (massive low end and low mids) and the horn helps alot for the high end. It lacks a little in high mids though because of the 15" speaker. In all, it is a great amp and will fill your needs easily. $400 is about right for a used one in good condition. Try to get it for $350 and you will be set! Do try first though and let your ears be the final judge.

7. Ampeg B2, specifically, a used B2-48 (4 8s plus tweeter). This combo pretty well erases any need for a head/cab set up. It's heavy, but the sound is HUGE, full deep and low, while still having nice mids because of the 8s, and it's a great deal at about $450 used. It's 200 watts as a combo, but puts out 350 w/an extension cab.

Mark