Medium/Medium light gauge strings for Lakland 55-94/55-02

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BigKD, Aug 23, 2017.

1. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    I'm looking for a set of strings like D'addario "Custom light" or "medium" gauge that will fit a lakland 55-02 through the body. I like the D'addario custom light prosteels on my warwick thumb 5 BO (even though that bass STILL sounds dark with the steels), but I can't seem to find them in the "Super Long" version that I supposedly need for the Lakland. Whatever came on this bass stock is way too flimsy/clanky feel/sound.

Any suggestions?

2. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Anybody? Lots of people on TalkBass have Laklands, right?

3. You have to buy super long scale D'Addario's if you want to string through body.

Or try long scale DR Strings.

If those particular gauges are important to you, just go through bridge.

4. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Yea I didn't see super longs in those gauges. I'd prefer to string through body, although it may not make much of a difference.

I ended up ordering some elixirs, as people have rated them highly for a variety of reasons...

5. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    Not a good idea to string a non-tapered B through-body, they don't like going round corners so you get a soft and flexible anchoring point as the string exits the hole and tries to go through a sharp angle. You'll get a more solid anchor top-loaded.
    With the full gauge on the saddle (tapered or not tapered) too much break angle over the saddle, caused by through-body stringing, is also not good for the same reason.
    Same for the E to less degree.
    Thinner strings are not affected this way, which is why it's fine for guitars.
    I think manufacturers provide through-body 5 string basses only because of the common misconception that it is a good thing, not for any actual reason.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

www.bassstringsonline.com should have whatever you need in Super Long.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022