Medium, Medium-Light or Light for Rock?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Diggler, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I've haven't played in years, and pretty much just bought whatever strings were available at my local music stores. We're gonna go back and play again, and I need to restring my bass. What is a good all-around string for 80's, 90's and modern rock? I mostly play finger style but occasionally use the pick for certain songs.

2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I like D'addario XL's, though I'm not sure what the tension is on them.
    I think its really a matter of what you're comfortable with, I like a growly string with a fairly tight feel to it.
  3. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well the thicker guage is going to give you a fuller sound. I'd say go with mediums, but as most things go in the bass world, it's personal preference. I like 45-105 strings, lighter strings don't feel quite as comfortable for my fingers.
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I say go at least medium, light doesnt sound as good and deep to my ears (but then again I'm the one who tries to hang around the E string as long as possible cuz it sounds deeper)
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    It depends on how hard your attack is, and how much you let the amp work for you. Light gauge strings can usually sound just as full as medium gauge strings, but you need to use a very light attack and let the sound come from your amp-hitting them hard will bring out their brittleness. On the other end, you can dig in a little more with medium gauge strings without it getting brittle or clangy, but they're not as easy or quick to pluck, bend, play with speed, etc. as lighter gauge strings are.