Medium powered tube/hybrid heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Ashdown EVO II 500

8 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg V-4B(H)

3 vote(s)
  3. Yorkville XS400H

0 vote(s)
  4. Mesa Walkabout

12 vote(s)
  1. Which of the above would suit me best?

I have no problem carrying around something heavy, so weight and portability isn't really an issue. I'm looking for something around 200-500 watts, solid state equivalent. I'm planning to use a single 4x10, possibly an Ampeg 4x10HE. I use a 4 string so immense low frequencies aren't a huge deal. It's an active Jazz.

Basically, I'd want some tube warmth and growl, but no mud. The Ashdown EVO 500 was incredible through an Ampeg 8x10 when I tried it today, basically the sound I want. The V-4 is a little bit darker, but still a good choice... although it is a big weaker and less versatile (but slightly cheaper, and the only amp of the above I can hope to find used around here). The Yorkie is pretty decent but seems too solid state... I had trouble getting a good tubey tone out of it. And I have no experience with the Walkabout, just heard great things.

Which would suit me best? Thanks in advance.
  2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'd look at Eden Traveler, either the 550 or 400 real hard, I have the old 300, very warm quality releable head. Their lightweight but the real deal, I know theres more exotic stuff out there but of the heads you mentioned the walkablout is the only one in the same class with the Eden. The tube pre on the edens was desighned by James Demeter and it's the smokes. Lots warmer then the comparable SWR or GK stuff, and you have to get into the all tube stuff to get that warmth out of Ampeg.
  3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Forget hybrid. Aguilar DB 359.
  4. Definitely a sweet looking amp, but it's definitely way out of my price range. I'm looking to spend between 1000 and 2000 CDN on this head, so I can safely say that most Aguilar stuff is out of there.

Edens are interesting as well, but they seem to be pretty expensive around here, too. I'd have to try to find one used to fall into my price range.

EDIT: Seems someone around here is selling a Traveler 400 with a 4x10 Eden cab, 2000$ CDN (approx 1500 American). Good setup? I want warmth, of course, but I also want a lot of growl. Would that be a good setup for it? Someone else has an Eden Traveler 300 for 800 CDN (600 something American)... I'm not too familiar with specific Eden prices, so are either of these good deals?
  5. i'd check out a mesa mpulse 600 or an swr bass 750, both nice.
  6. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    You'd be surprised at how cheap you can find DB359's for if you look hard enough. I picked mine up for $950 used a few months ago. Then I made the mistake of selling it.

The Eden Travellers are great heads, and the cabs are even better IME. I had a D115T head that I picked up cheap at a local pawn shop. It was amazing. The 410 XLTs..... wow.
  7. PatL

Jan 7, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    I see that you are in Montreal. At Steeve's they had an all-tube Trace Elliot v-type head (don't know if they still have it, though). It is a very good head, you should try it.
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Listen to the Walkabout on and see if you like it. For what you are describing, it would be my top choice. That little bugger has major tone! It is not as tonally flexible as my other heads (iAMP 800, WWU), but as far as meeting your requirements, it would seem to fit you to a tee.
  9. Hmm, they do have a Trace Head but I never checked the model. I might have to give it a go.

The Walkabout looks like a good choice, I'll keep an eye out for it used around here. I'm also waiting for a V-4 to come in at my local shop.

Anyone have any comments on the Ashdown head? Also, are these good deals?

Traveler 400 with a 4x10 Eden cab, 2000$ CDN (approx 1500 American). Eden Traveler 300 for 800 CDN (600 something American).

Both are on sale around here, used. What do you think?
  10. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I just picked up a Mesa Walkabout head for 410 bucks new in the box, including the Mesa gigbag. They were blowing them out...I think all GC's that still have some are dumping some inventory, so if you want one, now's the time! I got mine at the GC in Lake Forest, CA. Mine was the last new one in the box, but they have one on the floor for the same price.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is a stupid good deal! Wow!
  12. This is my setup:

with AMPEG SVT410HE and SVT15E cabs and it rocks.

This is the best gear ive ever played and better than my SVTCL and SVT3 PRO heads. Go Ashdown you will love it especially live at gigs.
  13. bassphisher

Jan 16, 2005
    ns, canada
    You shoudn't have any problems finding a new eden for under $2000 cdn. I think the last time I looked, a WT-400 was going for around $1200-$1400; that was at Long & McQuade in Winnipeg. As for $800 for a used Traveller 300, I wish I could help, but I don't think I've ever seen a used one for sale.

Hope this helps,
  14. Well well, my local shop just got an Eden stack also going for 2000$ CDN. A Highwayman 500 watt head, with a 2x12 cab (also a 4x10 cab should be coming in, I might take that cab instead). What do you think?
  15. bassphisher

Jan 16, 2005
    ns, canada
    That sounds like a steal to me! I would wait for the 4x10 to show before pulling the trigger, but that's up to you.