Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Medium-price 6-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowtones, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Yeah.. i was just wondering ..

What is a good 6-string for .. let's say $600-700?

I'm bored and I'm just thinking ahead.

--JT I know you're on right now

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This is probably beyond what you're expecting but I've seen a few used Yamaha TRB6's in the $700 range. I've also seen them for $1500.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cort Curbow 6 String $600 (Or less)

Warwick Corvete Standard 6 (Used $700-$800)

4. What about those *cough* Ibanez's (whisper voice)

I've heard bad stuff about the cheap ones, but what about the not-so-cheap ones.

Don't think I'm biased or anything, I'm just wondering.

I LOVE this board by the way.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ibanez only makes 2 6 stringers, the 406(cough cough..junk!..cough cough) and the SR3006. There is no mid priced model.

If you buy any Ibanez, IME you will need to change the electronics if you want a good sound. The 406 has a maple body and would probably soud OK with a better preamp.

You would be better served to find a used SR506(I have one of these) for around $450 or a used 1206 or 1306 for around $600 - $700.

The construction on these basses is much better than the 406, although the electronics are still pretty weak sounding.

Of course, what do I know? You may love the sound, but I don't. I will be replacing the preamp in my 506, and if that doesn't give me what I'm looking for I will replace the pickups as well.

Whatever you decide, good luck!:)

[Edited by embellisher on 01-13-2001 at 11:07 PM]

6. Hey you must remember that I said I am not looking towards the Ibanez's; I was just asking how they were.

7. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I'll second the Cort Curbow 6. It's probably made in the same factory as the Ibanez, but it is a great value for the price ($600).

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes. The Cort Curbow is made in the same Factory as Ibanez: "Cor-TEK"
    But it is completely Greg Curbow´s Specs.
    The string spacing, nut width and width at 24 fret is exactly the same as an Ibanez SR506. (I measured it, I have both basses)
    Action on my Cort Curbow is 1mm for the C,G Strings 1.5mm for the D,A Strings(A sometimces 2mm) and 2.5 mm for the E string and 2mm for the B string.(Maybe will raise it soon) so you can really say.. VERY LOW ACTION!
    Sorry to use metric measures but I think Inch and foot measures suck to hell.(As Miles and all that non decimal measures that are used in the USA.)
    Thank god my Coutry does not use those.

9. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Go with the Cort Curbow. I have never played the 6 version but I have played the others and they are pretty sweet for the price. Now if only I had $600.

10. JoelT

JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    FWIW, I have the Ibanez SR406 and I'm pretty happy with it. I've heard people who have them say the sound is great, and others who have played them say it's bad. So...there you go. ;)

I took mine to get a setup a couple days ago and the guy noticed a few spots where it was obvious there was a lack of attention to details (apparently some of the frets were uneven, for example...or maybe the neck made them uneven...I can't remember now). But I would expect some of that at that price (I got mine for around US$560 on sale). But he did say that overall it played pretty well (considering the price, I assume), and my teacher also likes the sound. So I guess there's some value in them.

But I've heard enough opinions on the other end to understand that side, also. I'll have it back this week so I'll know if sanding down (evening out) some of the frets made a difference.

Joel

11. A Tobias Pro-6 is pretty decent, and it's made in the same factory as the Cort. One problem with the Curbow is that it does'nt sit very comfortably on your leg when playing seated. Other than that it's pretty good. I went with the Tobias as 1; I dig the body and headstock shape, 2; I like a natural wood finish (flame maple body, wenge and maple neck stringers), 3; I wanted a bass that would provide a good platform for upgrading. Drawback: it's fairly heavy, but balances so well, I did a 6 hour gig on New Years Eve with no ill effects (well, not from the bass!).

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Toby could be made at the Cor-Tek factory.
    I dont know it for sure. But the similarities with Ibanez is the DX pickups and the electronics (The same found on older 2-bandEQ Ibanez basses)
    The Wood is great but I think the fretwork and neck rigidity is not a good one.. (My Toby Pro was just a little warped)
    The weakest point on the Toby are its preamp and pickups, followed by the bridge.
    I would heavily recommend changing both if buying a Toby Pro

13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    If you're going to buy something brand new and put more money into it just to get it to sound decent, you'd probably be a lot better off spending a little more money and getting something that's built right in the first place. I've seen used Peavey Cirrus 6 strings for $900 and though that's a bit more money up front you wouldn't have to change anything on it or "trade up" later on when you got sick of your Cort or Ibanez. Korean-made instruments are pretty good these days but they've still got a lot of catching up to do quality-wise and I suspect that their resale value is horrid.

14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The new Peavey Fury 6-string is supposed to be available now, but I haven't seen one at a Peavey dealer yet :confused:, so, I obviously haven't played one.
    The list price is $699.99
    Just another option...

15. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I just went through this but my budget was $1,000 for the best 6 string I could find. Slightly used was OK but new was preferred.

My requirements were that it had to be a neck through bass with an extremely tight low B string (for reasons other that the obvious).

The two obvious candidates were the vintage Yamaha TRB-6B and the Peavey Cirrus 6. I gave Spector a thought but not much more.

With research, I determined the Yamaha to be the best value and bought a nice one for about $1,100. I have seen a few for $700 or $800.

Good luck.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I played a 5 and a 6 version of these the other day.

Didn't plug them in. because they sucked! Bad! B and E string very very floppy!!!

I was disappointed. It was like a cheap Dean 5 or 6 with better hardware and a little wider string spacing.

17. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Bummer! :(
    I'll still try one - Probably won't buy one.