Medium Priced 32" scale bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skerik1, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    After selling my Darrin Huff bass, anything longer than a 32" scale just seems huge to me. I'm looking for a 32" scale bass that isn't going to cost a fortune---at least under 1000 bucks. I just can't seem to find anything anywhere.

Thanks a bunch!

2. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    here is an idea - Ibanez makes a 4 string with a 32" scale, kind of a low end model; take the electronics package out, replace with EMGs and .....WHAMMY!!!!! 32" scale bass with pretty good sound for around $500 (w/o case).

Just a thought
  3. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN

Eh, not quite what I want. I'd like something a little more solidly built with 24 frets.

4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The Ibanez is the GAXB150 and goes for about $120. Never played one so I dunno what it's like.

Best option would be a secondhand Kubicki X Factor. You're gonna have to spend a lot of money to better one, it's a seriously good bass. But it's only got 23 frets. I've been GASsing over a Status Kingbass in 32, but every time I pick up the Kubicki, the GAS goes away. Much as though I love Status basses, not sure it's worth 5x what the X cost me.

Hamer makes a 32 iirc.
    Secondhand Stu Hamm Urge 1 (not the II)

There's also a few boutique basses like Alembics that were made in 32" and if you're lucky or patient, one might turn up at a decent price.
  5. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    yep..look for a used Alembic Spoiler bass

I've seen them for under a grand..
  6. MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    Oh to live in the US of A.

Not seen any Alembic in good condition for less than $1600 in the gloomy rainy cloudy UK
  7. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    I was thinking about trading my sr5 for a elric gold 4 standard+$100,do you think thats a good deal?
  8. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Didn't Ampeg make a decent short scale bass a couple of years back? (not the clear ones) Or was that a POS??
  9. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN

that's a really cool concept! I had the idea of getting some warmoth parts: a strat body with a Baritone neck, but the neck might be a smidge too small--I think it's like 28 5/8" or so, but the nut width of 1 11/16"--the same as a P-Bass, so it might work. The string spread would be the same as a bass too. Kind of an expensive "project" though.

the idea what to do as little wood working as possible (hense the extra tuning holes, and standard pickup placement.

10. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Definitely go with a used Kubicki Ex-Factor. I did and I'll never need another bass again (of course, I'm not saying that I won't buy a few more Ex-Factors in my lifetime... :D ). There's a few of them on eBay now. Tone for days, they play like buttah, and they balance like nothing else. :bassist:
  11. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I used to have a Dean Jeff berlin signature bass.
    These are very underappreciated and not very well known.
    Can be had used for a song.
    made in cheq rep.
    bartolini pickups and pre.
    you can even get the exotic with zebrawood.

12. cliff bordwell(cb basses). i have a 32 fretted that i received yesterday. awesome is an understatement.
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

The Jeff Berlin signatures are not, and have never been, 32" scale. They are all 34" scale. Just like the Peavey Jeff Berlin Palladium before them.
  14. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    My apologies.

The bass just felt shorter than my g&l. I guess because of bridge location.