Medium Priced 6 String Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Hey bassists, I'm lookinlg for a medium quality/priced 6 String Fretless Bass. I saw that Dean makes one with active pickups (I think), but it is made of basswood :(. :mad:. The next thing up that I was able to find was a Spector that was like $800. Is there anything in between those two extremes? Or is basswood not actually as bad as I think it is?

Here's the link to the Dean Bass:

Dean's Fretless 6
  2. Personally, I've tried a few Dean basses and I'm not impressed (at least with the Korean-made ones).

Have you ever considered a Cort Curbow? I have a fretless 5 (no lines) and a fretted 6 and I just love them and you'll come in under the Spector price.

Contact Greg Curbow - for more information or visit
  3. i have a Cort Curbow 6 that i defretted. Its nice, but im not sure that 6 strings are for me. greg will defret a 6 for you for an extra charge.
  4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I found this one on ebay. It's really cheap. I think it sucks but it's ebay so who knows. Note: the material is agathis and it is 24 scale, no lines.

agathis sucks, right? I've never heard of it.

The Bass
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Agathis doesn't really suck, it jsut depends on what kind of sound you want. I am pretty sure agathis gives a similar tone to alder, except a little more "trebely". I have no idea if that ebay bass is a good one, it looks nice, but the electronics are probably terrible. I played a cort curbow 6 string just the other day for a little under $500, and I thought it osunded very good for the price, but you can't play it without a strap or it will slip off your leg due to the diminutive bottom body curve.