Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MEDIUM priced 6

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mud Flaps, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    How come nobody makes a medium priced six string. I have been on the market for sometime trying to find one, and, no luck. This is where I turn to you wise Luthiers for help. I looked at the Dean 6 Strings but basswood is too low qual for me. Specifically, I am on the market for a 6 String Fretless. But I am assuming that one can defret a fretted bass. Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

2. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Why is basswood low quality? It may be different, but is just as much wood as any other wood.

3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    what does medium priced mean to you?
    6 string fretlesses are great, but not fast sellers so there isn't a mad dash to flood the market with a bass that sits on the shelf at any price level....

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Keep in mind that the people engaging in this survey do not necessarily have money in hand, but I put a survey on my site to see what people come to it looking for.

http://babs.cs.umass.edu/~schmill/fbb/pages/survey-form.html

4 and 5 fretted are by far the frontrunners. I believe most people who voted for 6 strings voted for all three kinds (fretted, fretless, lined fretless).

In general, I agree that 6 string fretless basses are not going to sell as well as 4 and 5 string fretted basses, and the survey seems to pan that out. They also require more effort and more expensive parts, and so I rarely make them on spec.

Still, if we knew what your "medium" price point was, maybe we'd have some better advice. Some of the builders in this forum, Darrin and myself included, could probably be considered "medium price".

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Well, I'm actually not so sure about exactly what I mean by medium priced six string. I will pay more for a higher quality instrument. I want something that's a little higher quality than the Dean 6 String Fretless, but not as expensive as a Modulus for example.

Wood (or other material) selection is very important to me. I like maple or higher quality. Also I want a bass with active pickups.

So perhaps the price range for the bass I am thinking of will be somewhere between $650-$900.

6. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I would check out DPCustom His base price for a six I believe is $800. Also carvin has a six for $830.

7. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I hate to sound like a nit-picky wood nerd, but body woods are body woods. Basswood and poplar have a bad image because the wood doesn't cost a lot and it's not visually very interesting.

I use sassafrass. It's cheap, maybe cheaper than basswood. It looks like swamp ash. Sometimes it has curl and pin knots and I like the look better than swamp ash. The basses I have made with it sound great.

Aesthetics are a perfectly legitimate reason to go with one bass over another, but there's no high-water mark where wood = quality (unless you're talking plywood or wood with structural defects).

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Please don't use the term "high water mark", if you could only see the flooding over here, :(.

Okay, well, I'm kind of young and inexperienced with the bass, specifically with termenology. What is aesthetics?

9. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Ouch. I keep hearing about flooding from one of my customers.

Aesthetics are looks.

Basically, feel and playability are the most difficult thing to get right on a bass. Then sound. Then looks are a matter of personal preference. In general, you do get what you pay for, but if the bass A plays better than bass B, then it's a better bass no matter which costs more or what the wood selections were.

There are some good buys for under $1000. I have owned a Carvin, and they are nice playing basses. Plus they use a variety of woods more commonly found on high-end basses.

10. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    You could try a Spector NS2000 Q6. I myself am actually considering buying one.

http://www.spectorbass.com/NewFiles/professionalseries.html

Check em out. They have passive pickups with an active EQ. Not quite what I like, but I've heard others like them. Pickups can be easily replaced.

--Matthew

11. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    You may want to try a Schecter Stiletto Studio. They are Neck Thru, made in Korea, have active 3 band EQ with EMG HZ pickups. I believe they are available fretless and I've NEVER played a Schecter and said "This bass sucks." I just played a 4 string Stiletto yesterday that was priced at $450 and I was regretting the fact that I bought a Modulus. They are the best basses for the price by FAR.

The greatest thing about Schecter is that they sound amazing, are made extremely well, and are moderately priced. Dealers get a break on price as well, so the old "Dealer cost is 1/2 list" theory is void. I bet GC would do a special order on one for less than $800 and it would be a lot nicer than a basic black Carvin.

But used market... well, you can find a lot more, but it takes time.

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I own a Schecter Stilletto fretted 4 and it's a mind-bogglingly good bass for the price. Actually it's a mind-bogglingly good bass period. But, to my knowledge, Schecter doesn't sell any six string or fretless basses. I could have a custom Schecter made but that would probably be out of my price range.

13. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Sorry, I just checked out the Schecter website, they do make a fretted six. Actually, I think I'm going to go for something cheaper than the price range that I originally said. I'm probably going to go for that Spector NS 6 or an Ibanez. But I also need new cabs, heads, and car insurance in about a year. So, unfortunatley, my dream bass might have to wait a little while.