medium scale 5 string strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Dec 29, 2020.

1. harley_ou812

harley_ou812

Sep 30, 2001
    Lebanon, PA
    I have just gotten back into playing bass after many years away. I got a Ibanez Mezzo 5 for Christmas and love it. My only issue is I believe the A string was damaged upon installation. It has a weird warble to it when playing. I am trying to look into replacing the strings and I am trying to get an idea of what a good option would be as 32" scale 5 string sets seem few and far between. I am playing things mostly along the lines of modern christian rock or classic rock stylings. The original strings seemed fairly good but maybe a bit to bright (other than the A String of course) Do you have any suggestions on a good option to try?

2. I could be just a twisted string. You can try untwisting it by loosening it and pulling on the ball end to see if it would seat itself properly.

3. "Medium Scale" 5-strings sets are not very common, so your options are limited.

For roundwound: DR Sunbeams (nickel-plated steel on a round core) "short scale" 45-125. NOTE: DR calls them "short scale", but their actual winding length (ball end to taper) is 33.75", which should be long enough to fit on a 32"-scale bass.

For flatwound: Dunlop Flats, which are available in "medium scale" (34" from ball end to silk) and come in 40-120 and 45-125.

4. harley_ou812

harley_ou812

Sep 30, 2001
    Lebanon, PA
    I tried this and it got rid of the warble. Thank you man. That makes playing so much nicer.

michael_t likes this.