Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

medium scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 9, 2004.

1. is there any company that makes 32" scale basses as standard?...besides kubicki and alembic, they're the only two i can recall....im not looking after anything custom, more something along the lines of yamaha's..althogh they dont make 32"

2. Fury has a 31.640" scale as standard on their basses, not quite what you're asking for, but quite close.
    The only other company who makes medium scale basses I can think of is Status, with their Mark King signature.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Ibanez GAXB150

4. yeh..i knew of that....just at that price id rather buy the alembic mark king 32"..which plays like heaven..im suffereing from withdrawels from it..

i was thinking is there something along the pricelines of a fender in the 32"

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    This probably doesn't help, but according to Warwick's website, their bolt-on basses are available with 32" scale necks. Even if it doesn't help you, it'll probably help others looking for 32" scale neck options.

http://www.warwickbass.com/specs.html

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
  7. Coming to think of it, I think Fender Japan used to make a medium scale P-bass. Maybe they still do.
    Also, Burns Marquee basses are shorter than 34" scale (not sure if they are 32" or 30"), and since they are made in Korea, they're quite affordable. I once played a Brittish made one, which played like butter, so the "import" models might be worth checking out.

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
  9. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Fender Japan! I own a 32" scale Jazz and Precision. I've owned more than 50 basses and this Jazz is one of the nicest I've had. Great fretwork,amazing sustain,great tone. Construction quality on Fender Japan instruments is top notch.

10. it comes in lake placid blue :D ..i want..a 32" jazz is perfect..how much are they roughly? are they the same price as a MIM jazz? more? less?

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Fender Stu Hamm Urge I is a 32 in. scale bass. The new (current production) Urge II is a 34 in. scale instrument but used Urge Is pop up on eBay from time to time. I have one and it's a lot of fun!!!

Rondo Music sells both a P Bass and a J Bass Essex (SX) brand bass in 32in. scale. See them at www.rondomusic.net. There are probably a review or 20 on them in the Essex Megathread...

I don't recall if Warmoth sells 32 in. scale necks or not...

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I just looked at the info on the Essex and they're both 30 in. scale now. A while back Rondo sold a 32 in. scale Essex P Bass...

13. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The Stu Hamm Urge by Fender! I've played one recently and it is a nice piece. I know a store that has one in what looks like Lake Placid with a black guard. It is Mexican made and fretless and the price was reasonable. I can direct you toward it if you like.

14. id love an urge 1...but if i was to get one id have to get the top of the line one with the 3 pups and kubicki preamp....and all the ones ive seen sell for about $700us..i want one bad...but most quotes for postage for one off ebay is about $300us or more

show me that urge...ive seen the mexi ones and they are interesting, but i do prefer the real thing....just like my stu hamm kubicki..ahhh

15. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    You need to check ebay. I know a guy locally who is a nut for 32" scale basses. He scours ebay and finds 32 P's and J's. I paid about $500.00 for my J and about $300.00 for my P. THe Fender Japan Squire P basses are also nice and go for around $200-$300. Buying a "fixer-upper" isn't a bad idea either but be aware that the bodies are slightly smaller and the pickguards aren't standard size so if you buy one with broken pickguard you'll have to have a new one custom made. A couple of websites to check are guitargai.com and Bluezy.com. I used to own an Urge with the 3 pickups and my Fender Japan blows it away in every respect.

16. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Well to get one new you'll most likely have to get it from that site that I linked, so that's ¥36000 yen ($447 AUD) and then you need shippy shippy.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my ibanez destroyer is 32"

18. wow...thats like half the price of a mexi fender....i wonder how much postage would be :D ..seems better than a wish :D

19. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Perhaps it's too good to be true :eek:

20. knowing my luck it probably would..i see the body is basswood as well..you can get a translated sight of that one you linked
    here