Medium tension flats? TI Jazz Flats too low?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by drd07, Aug 20, 2003.

1. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I've been searching here at TB, and I haven't found a definate answer. I've narrowed it down to 2 different kinds of flats: TI Jazz flats (seems like tons of people love these) or D'Addario Chrome Flats. I occasionally drop tune my bass to drop D, or 1/2 step drop D, and am worried that TI Flats will be "too floppy". Does anybody have any experience with playing in drop tuning with TI Flats?

I've also considered D'Addario Chrome Flats. But when I've searched around, some say these are medium tension, others say they are high tension. I'm going to be using these flats for my jack casady and precision. Any other suggestions for a medium tension string?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, the Chromes come in various gauges, so the tension will vary somewhat. I find them to be lower tension than Fender flats, which are pretty stiff.

Also, Thomguy has mentioned in the past that the TI Short-Scale flats will fit most 34" basses, and they have a bigger E string. I haven't tried it, but you could post a question in the TI String forum over at the Dudepit and probably get an answer on that.
  3. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Great! Thanks. I was thinking about 45-105 guage strings. Do they have those in D Chromes? If so, are those with medium tension?
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    As far as a specific tension reading, I'm not sure, but from my experience between D'Adarrio and TI's is that the D'Adarrio's have more tension than the TI's. Are they medium tension, maybe. They certainly feel like they have a stiffer core.
  5. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks for all the advice!
  6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have basses with both the TI jazz flats, and the D'addario chromes. I have also used Fender 9050ML's and 9050M's in the past.

The chromes are a bit tighter than the jazz flats, but not by much IMHO. Definitely not as stiff as the Fender flats.

I personally like the chromes better. Nice feel and sound, without being too stiff. I like a more bottom end sound, and you seem to get that more from the chromes, than the TI's.

Just my opinion of course. But when it's time to restring my other two TI equipped basses, I'm going with the chromes!

Oh, chromes are less expensive than the jazz flats BTW.
  7. How are the chromes regarding fret noise compared to the TIs? My maple fretboard P-Bass can be very "clickety clackity" with SS strings like the Fenders. The TI flats with their nickel wrap hide lots of fret noise but are very floppy. I've tried the Ernie Ball flats on my P-Bass and they were bright with just the right feel tension-wise but were clanky compared to the TIs.

I wish TI would make .105 - .50 set of Jazz Flats.
  8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    What about La Bella Jamerson's?..

They are HUGE!..

9. Tbass66

Mar 15, 2002
    >>>How are the chromes regarding fret noise compared to the TIs?<<<

I'll say the chromes have less fret noise then the TI's..i'd have to say they are medium tension for flats..have less tension then the ghs flats or other brands i have tried and they also have a similar tone and feel to the TI' a good mix of highs and lows. I have had them on my ric4003 and my warwick thumb and they sounded/played nice on both..i said it befor and i'll say it again..the biggest prob i have with TI flats is the loose tension makes it way to easy for me to bend the notes to much out of tune and they can be a pain to strobe tune also. Other then that the TI's sound great to me..maybe i just need get used to them? (the TIs) i'm still tempted to give them another try