1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Meet Hartley Peavey - Founder, Peavey Electronics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, May 6, 2010.

1. I found a rather interesting article on GUITAR.COM::

Meet Hartley Peavey - Founder, Peavey Electronics

Just a snippet for interest ::: : By Adam St. James

There's lots more. Like I say - he's interesting and successful. Mostly successful and outspoken, but not necessarily in that order.

I'm trying to use the rules for C/P for "Fair Use Rules" correctly and give credit to the original writer for copyright permissions in these situations.

2. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    Most of what he says seems inarguable. Good article, I've always liked that guy. Reading that kind of makes me feel stupid for spending what I've spent on some of my gear!

3. I like that Peavey fella.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    He was one of the greats in the industry. But, like his products, he will never get the respect the he is due.

5. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I like how he cut Chip Todd completely out of the picture when describing the way he "invented" his guitar manufacturing process... :scowl:

Mr. Peavey hired Chip to start the Peavey guitar program. It was Chip who took gunsmithing machines and modified them to make guitars. Peavey basically had nothing to do with that concept, other than approaching Chip looking for a solution.

6. Yeah - but maybe there are other 'dynamics' involved there and not having been a fly on the wall myself --------

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I think that Peavey is *still* recovering from years and years of making simply AWFUL products. Anyone who encountered Peavey gear back in the late '70s/early '80s knows what I'm talking about - it was the cheap crap that only the most dead-broke guys bought - and sounded like it.

Peavey makes *much* better gear now - and has for years - but to many folks, Peavey will always have that stigma.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hartley's been a successful businessman but he doesn't know about square waves and clipping and DC.

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Excellent read....and he's right.

10. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I disagree.

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    gotta say... I'd trust Bob over Hartley on this one...

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Not about the technical stuff. I wish he wouldn't perpetuate the clipping and DC myth in particular.

13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have to agree with this. My first amp was an '85 TKO 65 that was heavy, rattly, unreliable, and sounded truly terrible. I owned a '90s Patriot and have had 3 Cirrus basses--all were great.

The other thing that bugs me about Peavey is that through the 80s/90s they trumpeted "Made in the USA" so much that their eventual embrace of low-cost Asian manufacturing seemed hypocritical.

14. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I've never heard, or played through any Peavey gear that sounded good. It will last forever though.

15. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Let me clarify my statement.

Hartley is right in his assesment of the needs of working musicians and brought good, dependable gear to market at affordable prices. He was an innovator of musicial equipment manufacturing processes (and of course he didn't work alone, he had many talented people working for him).

Also, I have played through much Peavey gear from the 70's and 80's and while some of it was lacking (what manufacturer dosen't have a few "less than stellar" products? Ever play through a Fender PA?), most of it was good sounding, dependable (damn near indestructable in most cases) and affordable.

I believe that the "stigma" that Peavey suffers from is for two reasons. The first is their early design esthetics. Many people are(were) put off by how Peavey equipment looked and thus never really honestly assesed how the equipment sounded or performed. And the second reason is simple price snobbery, which I think Hartley addresses effectively himself in the linked article.

As for my personal experiences I have used a large amount of Peavey PA equipment over the years. In fact I ran my own live sound business for several years and my system was composed of mostly Peavey equipment, it was 100% dependable (so was the old QSC and BGW stuff. :D).

I bought a Bass MkIV amp in 1983 and have used it ever since. It has been 100% reliable and it sounds great. I've played through many different cabs and currently use a Peavey 410TX with it.

In the end I feel that we should each play what we like and not disparrage the choices of others.

Cheers!

16. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

He conceived of the process.. then found someone to do it...

Sorry.. someone has to be the leader in the project.

====

There are some excellent articles interviewing him about family run biz etc..

====

Contrary to what some of the replies are.. he does know what he's talking about.. and is gifted in making it understandable to the masses.

====

Yes they've put out some less than perfect gear.. that was affordable and still running today... this was their mantra.

He's not stupid...

17. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Hunt down some of their high end gear...

Stores and average players rarely have seen/played it.

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Peavey has made many underrated products that performed much better than people ever expected them to.

19. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Your probably correct. I guess I'm comparing dollar for dollar to other brands. I should have clariffied that statement.

20. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    I still remember listening to and playing through Peavey solid state guitar amps back in the 80's. They sounded like absolute crap (especially the Rage). I thought all SS guitar amps sounded like crap till Crate came along.