Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meet Mary Kay, the newest family member.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zac2944, Mar 2, 2006.

1. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I thought I'd post a faimly shot and some pics of my newest addition.

Meet Mary Kay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mary Kay is a 1989 Fender '62 Reissue Jazz in a transparent Blond Finish with Gold hardware. The Nitro finish is starting to crack nicely here and there and there are a few chips. She shows her age.

Before I got her some one though it would be a good idea to cut a hole in her body and drop in some active electronics. You know, that sweet vintage '62 tone with active electronics.:eyebrow: ?!?!? I'm not quite sure what the origional owner was thinking. She also has a Badass II and Dimarzio pickup which are not origional.

Here's the handy work.
    [​IMG]

Here she is with the rest of the family.
    [​IMG]

After playing this bass once I knew I had to own it. Unfortunately the seller knew that too and I ended up paying more than I wanted to. It's worth it.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    He did a good job. It's not like a scar on a pretty girl's face or anything.

3. My wife just threw a Mary Kay party last weekend.

I was thinking this would be that odd pink color that the Mary Kay cadillacs come in. Wondering how many lipsticks and tupperware do you have to sell to earn a 62 Fender?

Randy

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They don't get Cadillacs anymore; I'm pretty sure you get a Pontiac Vibe. No foolin'. My mom was a Mary Kay lady.

Nice bass, btw. ;)

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    She's pretty...

The only beef I'd have with the handy work is not putting in a battery door... If you plan on keeping it active, I'd stick a battery compartment with a door on that plate, otherwise you'll eventually strip the wood :(

Other than that, wow...

6. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    She's passive again. All the electronics are gone, so I won't ever have to take off the Mother of Toilet Seat battery cover.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I have a P-Bass in Honey Blonde, pretty similar to your finish - looks killer with a tort p/g.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    In that case, rock on!!

9. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    :p :D I like mother of toilet seat but I still have to laugh!!!

And +1, rock on!

Chad

10. Knew you were a goner as soon as you mentioned this bass.:smug:
    She's got something, huh? Nice bass man.

11. steve21

steve21 Banned

Sweet bass... looks really classy.

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Nice Jazz in a classic vintage color!:D

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

The original "Mary Kay" Fender instruments are a very milky see through white with gold hardware and maple necks. I believe any yellowing you see here is due to age.

For a bit of trivia, if you read up, Mary Kay didn't actually play a Mary Kay guitar. Although she did pose with one for some publicity photos.

Zac, are you sure that it's a nitro finish? When these came out, I don't remember them having shot nitro...and from the pics it looks like poly to me.

Nice bass.

14. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, I had the boys down at the lab run some tests and.... ;)

I guess I don't know for sure, but it doesn't look or feel like a poly finish to me. You can't really see it in the pics but there are a lot of cracks in the finish. There are also some chips. I've never see poly crack like that. It just looks like the finish I've seen on old 60's fenders.

I'm pretty sure the finish has yellowed quite a bit. The bass smell like cigarette smoke. I can't seem to make it go away. Also, the finish is more transparent than the pictures show.

I'm no expert. Does anyone know more about this bass? I know it is a 1989, and the only year they did a Mary Kay reissue.

15. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've been looking for a good jazz bass for a while now. I only had to play a few notes to know that this was the one. I've never been so geeked out about a bass before.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Maybe the kids on the fender board might know?

I had an 83 strat that was a blonde/vintage white that had turned quite yellow from the previous owners smoking habit...

Also, weather checking is not necessarily a sign of poly. If you look at this picture of my poly finished 1973 P, you can see! Its not as drastic as the picture makes out, but I wanted a shot that emphasized the checking:

[​IMG]

Anyway, it's a good question...

17. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I wasn't able to find out about the Nitro, but I did find some other interesting info about the bass.

So it looks like these sold for about $800 new back in 1989.

I can't prove that this is true, but maybe the MK line was done in the new (at the time) Custom Shop. To be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was true. Despite its age, mine is a very well made bass.

18. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

Forgive me for the stupid question, but why does it only have two knobs?

19. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I guess that's the way they used to do it. There are actually four knobs, or rather two sets of concentric knobs.

On the control plate it goes V/T for the neck pickup, V/T for the bridge pickup, then your jack. Similar to a V/V/T set up, only each pickup has its own tone knob. I find it very versitile. The tone knobs are the shorter ones on the outside. They click into position.

20. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    That was me on the Fender forum that bought those two stack-knob Jazzes (one Mary Kay). I sold the black one and still have the other, but sadly I can no longer call it a Mary Kay. In a moment of insanity I decided I wanted it natural, so I stripped the finish and tung-oiled it (leaving off the PG like Jaco). I also ditched the stack knobs and went back to a V-V-T setup, and later decided I didn't like gold hardware so now it sports chrome (except for the neck/serial plate and screws which are still the original gold).

When I stripped the finish it came off very easy, so I seriously don't think it could have been poly.

Here is a pic of it in its present state, wearing an aftermarket lined fretless neck (I'm about to put it's original neck back on though):

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26106&d=1133277262

Of course I now regret butchering the bass all those years ago, so go easy on me.

Edit: I wanted to add that it is in fact a 1989. I ordered it in 1988 (the guy I dealt with at Veneman Music told me about it before it actually came out) and I finally got it in 1989 a year after I ordered it.